Wakamatsu (Tsurugajo) Castle 若松城・鶴ヶ城


w049-IMG_0270.jpg

In Aizu-Wakamatsu, it is called Tsuruga-jo Castle. Outside the city, many call it Aizu-Wakamatsu Castle. The official name is Wakamatsu Castle. Lord Gamo Ujisato (from Shiga Prefecture) in 1593 built most of the castle and renamed it Tsurugajo. The castle tower was reconstructed in 1965 and serves as a castle history museum. In 2001, the Hoshii Yagura turret and the Minami Hashiri Nagaya corridor were also reconstructed.

117 files, last one added on Dec 04, 2007
Album viewed 375 times

Iimoriyama Hill (Byakkotai) 飯盛山


018-IMG_0598.jpg

In 1868, a unit of teenage warriors called Byakkotai (White Tiger Battalion) fought against the Emperor-backed Imperial forces encroaching their domain of Aizu. The Byakkotai were outnumbered and forced to retreat. Twenty of them escaped to Iimoriyama Hill where they saw what looked liked a burning Tsurugajo Castle which actually had not fallen yet. In despair, the boys decided to kill themselves rather than die in the hands of the enemy. Their tombstones are on this hill near where they killed themselves. Their story has become legend.

62 files, last one added on Dec 06, 2007
Album viewed 2231 times

Lord Gamo Ujisato Gravesite 蒲生氏郷公之墓所


018-IMG_0033.jpg

Native of Hino, Shiga Prefecture, Lord Gamo (Gamoh) Ujisato (1556-1595) is best known for building Aizu-Wakamatsu (Tsurugajo) Castle and founding Aizu-Wakamatsu. He suddenly died at age 40. One theory says that he was poisoned by Toyotomi Hideyoshi.

16 files, last one added on Dec 05, 2007
Album viewed 116 times

Other Sights


011-IMG_0007.jpg

Other sights in Aizu-Wakamatsu.

21 files, last one added on Dec 05, 2007
Album viewed 71 times

4 albums on 1 page(s)