Home > AICHI 愛知県
Category Albums Files
Gamagori 蒲郡市Pictures of Gamagori, Aichi Prefecture.
1 5
Takeshima 竹島


Gamagori's main attraction is this small island accessible by bridge.

5 files, last one added on Jan 24, 2006
Album viewed 445 times


1 albums on 1 page(s)

Handa 半田市Pictures of Handa, Aichi Prefecture.
1 252
Handa Dashi Matsuri 2017 はんだ山車まつり


The Handa Dashi Matsuri is a huge festival of 31 ornate wooden floats held only once every five years (in years ending in "2" and "7") on the first weekend in Oct. It is a non-religious festival that started in 1979. It has been held only eight times since 1979. The floats are first parked and paraded on the streets near JR Handa Station before they all proceed and gather at a large parking lot. Handa is not far from Nagoya and Toyota. The headquarters of Mizkan vinegar is in Handa. These photos were taken on Oct. 7, 2017. Official website: http://handa-dashimatsuri.jp/

252 files, last one added on Oct 07, 2018
Album viewed 143 times


1 albums on 1 page(s)

Hazu 幡豆町Pictures of Hazu-cho town, Aichi Prefecture.
1 11
Usagi/Sarugashima うさぎ島・猿が島


Hazu-cho is a coastal town next to Gamagori. There are two small islands which used to be accessible by boat. One was nicknamed Rabbit (Usagi) island and the other was Monkey (Saru) island.

11 files, last one added on Jan 24, 2006
Album viewed 377 times


1 albums on 1 page(s)

Ichinomiya 一宮市Pictures of Ichinomiya, Aichi Prefecture.
1 56
Masumida Shrine on New Year's Day 真清田神社 初詣


The city of Ichinomiya takes its name after Masumida Shrine which I visited on Jan. 1, 2011. A short walk from Ichinomiya Station. Also see my YouTube video here.

56 files, last one added on Jan 08, 2011
Album viewed 1109 times


1 albums on 1 page(s)

Inazawa 稲沢市Pictures of Inazawa, Aichi Pref.
1 68
Konomiya Hadaka Matsuri 国府宮はだか祭


Konomiya Shrine holds the Hadaka (Naked or Nude) Festival in early March, or Jan. 13 of the lunar calendar. Men in loincloths parade around the streets until they reach the shrine. A Sacred Man (Shin-otoko) also appears in the shrine and the men try to touch him before he slips into the shrine's window. The festival's real name is Naoi-shinji 儺追神事 which is a rite to dispel bad luck.

68 files, last one added on Mar 09, 2007
Album viewed 1100 times


1 albums on 1 page(s)

Inuyama 犬山市Pictures of Inuyama, Aichi Prefecture.
3 128
Inuyama Castle 犬山城


Perched on a mountain on the bank of Kiso River, Inuyama Castle is one of four castles in Japan designated as a National Treasure. First built in 1537, it is Japan's oldest surviving castle. It is also the only privately owned castle in Japan.

47 files, last one added on Jan 23, 2006
Album viewed 568 times

Ooagata Jinja Shrine 大縣神社


Shrine famous for worshipping a rock shaped like the female sexual organ. It also holds the Honen Matsuri for a good harvest and fertility on the Sunday before March 15. It is the female counterpart to Tagata Shrine which worships the phallus in neighboring Komaki. The shrine is also noted for weeping plum blossoms.

60 files, last one added on Mar 14, 2007
Album viewed 796 times

Other Sights


Other sights in Inuyama, Aichi Prefecture.

21 files, last one added on Jun 28, 2011
Album viewed 415 times


3 albums on 1 page(s)

Kiyosu 清洲市Pictures of Kiyosu, Aichi Prefecture.
1 74
Kiyosu Castle 清洲城


Between Nagoya and Gifu, this castle reconstructed in 1989 can be seen from the train on the Tokaido Line. It was one of Oda Nobunaga's strategic castles to unify Japan.

74 files, last one added on Feb 15, 2009
Album viewed 437 times


1 albums on 1 page(s)

Komaki 小牧市Pictures of Komaki, Aichi Prefecture.
2 156
Tagata Shrine Honen Festival 田縣神社 豊年祭


The Honen-sai or Honen (Hounen) Matsuri is held by Tagata Jinja on March 15 to pray for an abundant harvest. "Honen" literally means "Year of abudant harvest." Since a giant penis is used as an offering, it is popularly called the "penis festival." Also see the video at YouTube.

120 files, last one added on Mar 17, 2007
Album viewed 2244 times

Tagata Jinja Shrine 田縣神社


Shrine famous for numerous phallic objects used as offerings to the gods. The 1500-year-old shrine worships a deity called Tamahime-no-Mikoto who was a daughter of a powerful local lord from the 5th century. The shrine is near Tagata Jinja-mae Station on the Meitetsu Railways' Komaki Line. From Shin-Nagoya Station or Shin-Gifu Station, go to Inuyama Station and transfer to the Komaki Line.

36 files, last one added on Mar 20, 2007
Album viewed 848 times

2 albums on 1 page(s)

Nagakute 長久手町Pictures of Nagakute-cho, Aichi Pref.
2 224
Classic Car Festival and Toyota Automobile Museum トヨタ博物館


Sponsored by the Toyota Automobile Museum, the Classic Car Festival is held every spring in Nagakute. About 150 classic cars of various makes paraded through the city and were displayed at the Aichi Expo 2005 Park. Toyota Automobile Museum also has a world-class collection of classic cars, not just Toyota. From JR Nagoya Station, it takes about 45 min. to the museum by subway and train. First take the Higashiyama subway line to Fujigaoka. Then transfer to the Linomo Line. Get off at Geidai-dori Station. Museum is a short walk away.

123 files, last one added on Jun 09, 2017
Album viewed 233 times

Aichi Expo 2005 愛・地球博


The Aichi Expo 2005 was held from March 25 to September 25, 2005 at three locations in Aichi Prefecture. The main site was at Nagakute where these photos were taken. The theme of the Expo was "Nature's Wisdom," with Japanese and international pavilions showing nature, ecology, and Earth-related exhibits. Over 22 million people visited the expo which was quite crowded at times.

101 files, last one added on Feb 16, 2009
Album viewed 584 times

2 albums on 1 page(s)

Nagoya 名古屋市Pictures of Nagoya, the capital city of Aichi Prefecture.
4 499
Nagoya Castle 名古屋城


Nagoya Castle is Nagoya's most visible attraction and symbol of the city. It is most closely associated with the Tokugawa after Ieyasu decided to rebuild it in the early 1600s. It was the base of the Tokugawa's Owari branch. The main castle tower was paired with a smaller tower and the Hommaru Palace and Ninomaru Palace were built nearby. Sadly, the original buildings were destroyed by World War II firebombings by the US. The main castle tower was reconstructed with ferro-concrete in 1959. From 2009 to 2018, they reconstructed the magnificent Hommaru Palace using traditional materials and methods of construction.

244 files, last one added on Sep 20, 2016
Album viewed 551 times

Atsuta Jingu Shrine on New Year's Day 熱田神宮


Atsuta Jingu is one of Japan's most important shrines dedicated to Atsuta-no-Ookami or Amaterasu-Oomikami, represented by the sacred sword Kusanagi-no-tsurugi which is one of the three sacred treasures of the Imperial family. It ranks second behind Grand Shrines of Ise in Mie Prefecture. On Jan. 1, 2008, I visited this shrine along with huge crowds.

61 files, last one added on Feb 18, 2009
Album viewed 429 times

SCMAGLEV and Railway Park リニア・鉄道館


If you like the Tokaido shinkansen old and new or the Maglev trains, visiting this railway museum on the outskirts of Nagoya is a must. See 39 full-size railway cars, train simulators, and a railway model diorama. Operated by JR Central in Nagoya, the museum opened in March 2011. Near Kinjo-futo Station on the Aonami Line that starts from Nagoya Station.

167 files, last one added on Jun 17, 2017
Album viewed 217 times

Osu 大須


Osu is a famous area in Nagoya, centering on Osu Kannon Temple amid numerous shopping arcades.

27 files, last one added on Feb 16, 2009
Album viewed 360 times

4 albums on 1 page(s)

Okazaki 岡崎市Pictures of Okazaki, Aichi Prefecture.
1 7
Okazaki Castle 岡崎城


Originally built in 1455, Okazaki Castle was dismantled during the Meiji Period and the area was made into a castle park. The castle tower was later rebuilt in 1959.

7 files, last one added on Apr 24, 2011
Album viewed 420 times


1 albums on 1 page(s)

Toyohashi 豊橋市Pictures of Toyohashi, Aichi Prefecture.
1 1
Yoshida Castle 吉田城


Originally built by lord Ujichika Imagawa in 1505 as Imahashi Castle, it was renamed Yoshida Castle. It is now within Toyohashi Park. Only a turret was rebuilt in 1954.

1 files, last one added on Jan 24, 2006
Album viewed 300 times


1 albums on 1 page(s)