Last additions - Hitsujigaoka Observation Hill 羊ヶ丘展望台 |

May 21, 2008
|
|

Wedding chapel. Not for tourists, but you can take the elevator to the top floor for fine views of the surrounding area.May 21, 2008
|
|

On the left is the Rest House with a restaurant (built in 1985), and on the right is the Austrian Pavilion moved here in 1972 after the Sapporo Winter Olympics. It houses gift shops.May 21, 2008
|
|

Passage at Fukuzumi Station, near Sapporo DomeMay 21, 2008
|
|

G8 Summit sticker in busMay 21, 2008
|
|

Sapporo Snow Festival postcardsMay 21, 2008
|
|

May 21, 2008
|
|

May 21, 2008
|
|

Inside sheep houseMay 21, 2008
|
|

London St. Paul's Cathedral, UK (1998)May 21, 2008
|
|

Mon-chi-chi with a melon cap.May 21, 2008
|
|

Snow Festival bookMay 21, 2008
|
|

Girl and Sheep sculpture at Hitsujigaoka Observation Hill, Sapporo, HokkaidoMay 21, 2008
|
|

Sapporo Snow Festival pinsMay 21, 2008
|
|

Sapporo Snow Festival memorabalia.May 21, 2008
|
|

Schloss Linderhof castle, Germany (1995)May 21, 2008
|
|

Sheep houseMay 21, 2008
|
|

Concert Gebouw, Holland (2000)May 21, 2008
|
|

Left is the capitol building in Norway (2005), and on the right is Flinders Street Station in Australia (2006).May 21, 2008
|
|

More scale models in this room.May 21, 2008
|
|

Tools used to carve the snow sculptures.May 21, 2008
|
|

Munich National Museum, Germany (1997)May 21, 2008
|
|

Sculpture of Commodore Perry's visit to Japan (2003).May 21, 2008
|
|

Scale model of the Iolani Palace made of wood, painted white. Built for the 33rd Sapporo Snow Festival in 1982. The palace is in Honolulu, Hawaii, built by King David Kalakaua in 1882.May 21, 2008
|
|

Salzburg Cathedral, Austria (1996)May 21, 2008
|
|

Palace in Thailand (2007)May 21, 2008
|
|

Horyuji temple, NaraMay 21, 2008
|
|

Panel for the 33rd Sapporo Snow Festival in 1982 which featured Iolani Palace of Honolulu, Hawaii.May 21, 2008
|
|

Scale model of Hawaii's Iolani Palace made of wood, painted white. Built for the 33rd Sapporo Snow Festival in 1982.May 21, 2008
|
|
|

The Sapporo Snow Festival Museum has display panels of all the past Sapporo Snow Festivals, dating from 1950.May 21, 2008
|
|

Top view of Iolani Palace scale model.May 21, 2008
|
|

Yujiro Song Monument for a Sapporo song called, "Koi no Machi Sapporo" (恋の町札幌) sung by Ishihara Yujiro whose bust is on the right. Built in 1991.May 21, 2008
|
|

The museum also has rooms showing scale models of the giant snow sculptures built in the past. These scale models were made when the respective snow sculpture was being designed.May 21, 2008
|
|

Clark Chapel on the left, and on the right is the Sapporo Snow Festival Museum which opened in 2001. It used to be a wedding chapel. さっぽろ雪まつり資料館May 21, 2008
|
|

Sapporo Dome can be seen on the right. It is near Fukuzumi Station.May 21, 2008
|
|

Snow Festival posterMay 21, 2008
|
|

The low hill overlooks Sapporo from the southeast.May 21, 2008
|
|

The monument has handprints and autographs of the players.May 21, 2008
|
|

Hitsujigaoka Observation Hill's lookout deck.May 21, 2008
|
|

"Boys, Be Ambitious" This famous statue of Dr. William Clark was built in 1976 to mark Dr. Clark's 100th anniversary of his coming to Hokkaido, the 100th anniversary of Hokkaido University's founding, and the USA bicentennial.May 21, 2008
|
|

Handprint and autograph of Tsuyoshi Shinjo who was the team's most famous player.May 21, 2008
|
|

Clark Bon Voyage Bell クラーク旅立ちの鐘May 21, 2008
|
|

Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters baseball team monument marking the team's founding. Built in 2004. 北海道日本ハムファイターズ誕生記念碑May 21, 2008
|
|

Another prop for photos. "I love Sapporo!"May 21, 2008
|
|

Hitsujigaoka means Sheep Hill, and it actually has sheep.May 21, 2008
|
|

While there, you will likely hear this bell being rung constantly. The place is managed by the Sapporo Tourist Association.May 21, 2008
|
|

Dr. William S. Clark (1826-1886) was a professor from Massachusetts. The statue was made by a Japanese sculpturer and sponsored by the Sapporo Tourist Association. Hokkaido University has a bust of Dr. Clark which is also popular among tourists.May 21, 2008
|
|

Approaching Hitsujigaoka Observation Hill. The place is open every day from 8:30 am to 6 pm or 7 pm during spring and summer. Slightly shorter hours during winter (Oct.-April).May 21, 2008
|
|

Clark came to Hokkaido for 8 months during 1876 to 1877 as a founding vice president of Sapporo Agricultural College (now Hokkaido University). When he departed, he supposedly said, "Boys, be ambitious!" to the students seeing him off.May 21, 2008
|
|

The place has a large parking lot and restaurant, shops, and wedding chapels. A little tourist village has formed over the years since the Hitsujigaoka Observation Hill opened in 1959.May 21, 2008
|
|

Most postcards of Hitsujigaoka Observation Hill show only this famous statue. So I had no idea that there was also a little tourist village.May 21, 2008
|
|

An endless line of people taking pictures and posing in front of the statue.May 21, 2008
|
|

Hitsujigaoka Observation Hill is accessible by a 10-min. bus ride from Fukuzumi Station (Toho subway line). See the famous statue of William Clark on the fringe beyond the parking lot.May 21, 2008
|
|

Ticket gate and entrance to Hitsujigaoka Observation Hill (Hitsujigaoka Tembodai). 500 yen admission is charged so someone from the ticket office boarded our bus to collect admission fees.May 21, 2008
|
|
|
|