|Kosei Line (湖西線; Kosei-sen)|
|Location||Kyoto and Shiga Prefecture(s)|
|Terminal Stations||Kyoto Station/Yamashina Station (Kyoto) and Omi-Shiotsu Station (Shiga)|
|Major Stations||Kyoto Station, Yamashina Station, Omi-Shiotsu Station|
|Train Types||Futsu, Kaisoku, Shin-kaisoku|
|Train Schedule||Schedule at ekikara.jp|
|Total Distance||74.1 km|
|Others||Other Railways in Shiga, Railways in Japan|
|Links||JR Kosei Line|
by Philbert Ono
Updated: May 5, 2014
Japan Railways (JR) train line servicing the western and northern shores of Lake Biwa in Shiga Prefecture. From Kyoto Station, it goes as far as Omi-Shiotsu Station in northern Shiga, taking about 1 hr. 16 min. The faster Shin-kaisoku trains go farther to Tsuruga Station (Hokuriku Main Line) in Fukui. The Futsu (普通) local trains stop at every train station and may terminate at Nagahara Station. From the Tokaido Main Line, transfer at Yamashina Station (not Otsu Station). "Kosei" means "west of lake."
Going from Kyoto/Yamashina to northern Shiga, here are all the train stations and their local attractions:
- Kyoto Station (京都駅) - Kyoto residents can easily reach Lake Biwa beaches in summer.
- Yamashina Station (山科駅) - In Kyoto. Transfer point between the Kosei Line, Tokaido Main Line, and Kyoto subway.
- Otsukyo Station (大津京駅) - Formerly called Nishi-Otsu Station. The station's name was changed on March 15, 2008. Omi Jingu Shrine, Ojiyama Kofun Tumulus
- Karasaki Station (唐崎駅) - Karasaki Jinja Shrine (Karasaki Pine)
- Hie-zan Sakamoto Station (比叡山坂本駅) - Hiyoshi Taisha Shrine, Saikyoji Temple, Hie-zan Sakamoto Cable Car to Enryakuji Temple on Mt. Hiei. Rental bicycles at nearby Sakamoto Station (Sakamoto Tourist Association office) on the Keihan Ishiyama-Sakamoto Line.
- Ogoto Onsen Station (おごと温泉駅) - Formerly called Ogoto Station. The station's name was changed on March 15, 2008. Ogoto Spa is nearby.
- Katata Station (堅田駅) - Ukimido Floating Temple, Biwako Ohashi Bridge (west end)
- Ono Station (小野駅) -
- Wani Station (和邇駅) - Wani-hama Beach
- Horai Station (蓬莱駅) - Horai-hama Beach
- Shiga Station (志賀駅) - Katsuragawa Keikoku Gorge, Biwako Valley
- Hira Station (比良駅) - Hira mountains
- Omi-Maiko Station (近江舞子駅) - Shiga's most popular beach is Omi-Maiko where many Kyotoites also come in the summer. Omatsuzaki
- Kita-Komatsu Station (北小松駅) - Yobai no Taki Falls, Hira Genkimura.
- Omi-Takashima Station (近江高島駅) - Shirahige Jinja Shrine (torii in lake), Haginohama Beach, Omizo Castle, Otomegaike Pond, Ireland Koryukan Village. Bicycle rental at the station (drop-off OK at Adogawa, Shin-Asahi, Omi-Imazu, or Makino Station).
- Adogawa Station (安曇川駅) - Biwako Kodomo no Kuni, Yomeien Garden. Bicycle rental at the station (drop-off OK at Shin-Asahi Station, Omi-Imazu, Makino, or Omi-Takashima Station).
- Shin-Asahi Station (新旭駅) - Harie where homes draw clean water from an ever-flowing spring directly from the ground into wells called kabata. A local NPO conducts tours of the area. Also, Shin Asahi Windmill Village. Bicycle rental at the station (drop-off OK at Omi-Imazu, Omi-Takashima, Makino Station, or Adogawa Station).
- Omi-Imazu Station (近江今津駅) - Imazu-ko Pier (boat to Chikubushima island), Biwako Shuko no Uta Shiryokan song museum, Biwako Shuko no Uta song monument, Imazu Vories Shiryokan museum, Mt. Hakodate-yama. Bicycle rental at the station (drop-off OK at Makino Station, Shin-Asahi Station, Adogawa Station, or Omi-Takashima).
- Omi-Nakasho Station (近江中庄駅) -
- Makino Station (マキノ駅) - Makino Sunny Beach, Kaizu Osaki coast. Bicycle rental at the station (drop-off OK at Omi-Imazu, Omi-Takashima, Shin-Asahi, Adogawa, Nagahara Station, Omi-Shiotsu, Yogo, Kinomoto, Takatsuki, Kawake, Torahime, Nagahama, Sakata, or Maibara Station).
- Nagahara Station (永原駅) - Marukobune no Yakata museum, Ranta no Yakata, Haraobi Kannon Temple. Bicycle rental at the station (drop-off OK at Omi-Imazu, Omi-Takashima, Shin-Asahi, Adogawa, Makino, Omi-Shiotsu, Yogo, Kinomoto, Takatsuki, Kawake, Torahime, Nagahama, Sakata, or Maibara Station).
- Omi-Shiotsu Station (近江塩津駅) - Transfer station for JR Kosei Line and Hokuriku Line. Catch another train south to Nagahama/Maibara or north to Tsuruga/Fukui. Bicycle rental at the station (drop-off OK at Omi-Imazu, Omi-Takashima, Shin-Asahi, Adogawa, Makino, Nagahara, Yogo, Kinomoto, Takatsuki, Kawake, Torahime, Nagahama, Sakata, or Maibara Station)
＊Rental bicycles must be returned by 5 pm or so. Be sure to check what time you need to return the bicycle.