no edit summary
The museum is a 2-min. walk from [[Omi-Imazu Station]] (East Exit) on the JR [[Kosei Line]] 湖西線 running along the western shore of Lake Biwa. It has exhibits and display panels explaining about the song and the composer [[Oguchi Taro]] and [[Yoshida Chiaki]]. There is also a listening corner where you can listen to numerous cover versions of the song sung by famous singers such as Peggy Hayama, Miyako Harumi, and Kobayashi Akira. Nini Rosso even recorded a trumpet version.
The museum also has an exhibition space on the 2nd floor. It also houses the offices of the Imazu Branch of the Biwako Takashima Tourist Association (びわ湖高島観光協会 今津支所) and a gift shop. More [http://photoguide.jp/pix/thumbnails.php?album=
155 museum photos here].
First composed in 1917 by a bunch of college students from Kyoto, the song is about a four-day, boat-rowing trip around Lake Biwa undertaken on June 27, 1917 by seven college students. They were in the boating club at an elite college in Kyoto which later merged with Kyoto University. Not to be confused with a similar song called ''Biwako Aika'' created in 1941 in memory of the boys from Kanazawa who died in a rowing accident on Lake Biwa.