Home > FUKUSHIMA 福島県 > Aizu-Wakamatsu 会津若松市

Most viewed - Aizu-Wakamatsu 会津若松市
w048-IMG_0273.jpg
Aizu-Wakamatsu (Tsuruga-jo) Castle, Fukushima Pref. The reconstructed castle tower (ferro-concrete) is based on the 5-story castle tower Kato Akinari built in 1639. "Wakamatsu" was named after a place in Hino, Shiga by Ujisato.302 views
055-IMG_0591.jpg
Monument from Rome, Italy, given in 1928 by Mussolini. The column is from the ruins of a palace in Pompeii.302 views
w010-IMG_0054.jpg
Stone marker for Tsurugajo Castle. Although the castle's official name is Wakamatsu Castle, it is popularly called Tsuruga-jo Castle within the city of Aizu-Wakamatsu. Outside Fukushima though, it is popularly called Aizu-Wakamatsu Castle.245 views
w049-IMG_0270.jpg
Wakamatsu Castle, Fukushima. Totally modern on the inside (renovated in 2004), the castle tower is a history museum. It displays swords and portraits of the Byakkotai Battalion of teenagers who valiantly butneedlessly committed suicide on Iimoriyama Hill.242 views
071-IMG_0566.jpg
Byakkotai souvenirs232 views
058-IMG_0587.jpg
Monument from a German, Hasso von Etzdorf (1900 - 1989).227 views
010-IMG_0565.jpg
Entrance to Iimoriyama Hill, site of the Byakkotai "White Tiger" Battalion gravesite. In 1868, a unit of teenage warriors called Byakkotai (White Tiger Battalion) fought against the Emperor-backed Imperial forces encroaching their domain of Aizu209 views
056-IMG_0590.jpg
Monument message in Italian. After WWII, the US Occupation authorities wanted this monument removed. But all they did was remove the engraved message (later restored).201 views
w029-IMG_0133.jpg
Family crests of all the warrior clans who occupied Wakamatsu Castle.196 views
w126-IMG_0474.jpg
San-no-Maru entrance to Tsurugajo Castle 三の丸185 views
057-IMG_0589.jpg
About the monument from Rome.182 views
w047-IMG_0195.jpg
In 1591, Lord Gamo Ujisato (from Hino, Shiga) built a 7-story castle tower and renamed it Tsuruga-jo Castle. "Tsuru" means crane. A major earthquake in 1611 damaged the tower, so Lord Kato Akinari rebuilt the castle tower with 5 stories in 1639.178 views
w124-IMG_0468.jpg
Rokabashi Bridge 廊下橋174 views
025-IMG_0712.jpg
Aizu-Wakamatsu manhole174 views
010-IMG_0013.jpg
Marker and side road to Lord Gamo (Gamoh) Ujisato's gravesite. Near Aizu-Wakamatsu City Hall. Gamo Ujisato (1556-1595) was a feudal lord from Hino, Shiga Pref. He built Tsurugajo Castle and named the town Wakamatsu, after a place in his hometown.172 views
054-IMG_0592.jpg
167 views
w125-IMG_0472.jpg
163 views
017-IMG_0634.jpg
Graves of the 19 teenage Byakkotai warriors who killed themselves with their own swords.160 views
065-IMG_0691.jpg
Painting depicting Byakkotai suicide on Iimoriyama Hill158 views
w027-IMG_0458.jpg
Tsuruga-jo Castle as seen from the rear.157 views
070-IMG_0700.jpg
155 views
013-IMG_0581.jpg
Escalator to go up Iimoriyama Hill. Their tombstones are on this hill near where they killed themselves. Their story has become legend.152 views
020-IMG_0636.jpg
Byakkotai gravestones. Each one shows the name, age, and method of death called "jijin" (died with one's own sword 自刃).152 views
w021-IMG_0098.jpg
Castle map. I recommend entering through the Kitaguchi entrance and exiting from the San-no-maru entrance or vice versa. Both entrances has a High-color bus stop nearby. The castle is too far to walk from Aizu-Wakamatsu Station, so take a bus.151 views
069-IMG_0694.jpg
Sazaedo151 views
059-IMG_0681.jpg
Another monument150 views
011-IMG_0568.jpg
The Byakkotai were outnumbered and forced to retreat. Twenty of them escaped to Iimoriyama Hill where they saw what looked liked a burning Tsurugajo Castle. Photo: Pay a small fee to take the escalator up the hill. Or climb up the steps for free.149 views
012-IMG_0576.jpg
In despair, the boys decided to kill themselves rather than die in the hands of the enemy. Photo: Escalator to go up Iimoriyama Hill.149 views
014-IMG_0586.jpg
Byakkotai Gravesite. It is on a flat area which also has several other Byakkotai monuments including those from other countries.148 views
023-IMG_0031.jpg
Portrait of Lord Gamo Ujisato147 views
w011-IMG_0080.jpg
Otemon Gate to Kitade-maru 大手門. The castle was first built by Ashina Naomori in 1384 when he built a structure called Higashi Kurokawa Yakata.145 views
061-IMG_0705.jpg
Byakkotai statue outside the Byakkotai Memorial Museum145 views
w014-IMG_0085.jpg
Most next to Otemon Gate143 views
015-IMG_0631.jpg
Approach to the Byakkotai gravesite.143 views
w012-IMG_0081.jpg
Otemon Gate stonework. The castle was occupied by a number of clans. But it was Gamo Ujisato, originally from Hino, Shiga Prefecture, who made the castle great and established the castle town of Aizu-Wakamatsu.141 views
w013-IMG_0084.jpg
Otemon Gate stonework with stairs, one unique feature of the castle. The castle was attacked by Imperial forces during the Boshin War in 1868. The castle was dismantled in 1874.140 views
011-IMG_0015.jpg
Ujisato was married to Oda Nobunaga's second daughter Fuyuhime. He died at age 40. One theory says that he was poisoned by Toyotomi Hideyoshi. Entrance to Lord Gamo Ujisato's gravesite within Kotokuji temple in Aizu-Wakamatsu, Fukushima..140 views
038-IMG_0654.jpg
Slope where they committed seppuku (hara-kiri). 自刃の地139 views
062-IMG_0574.jpg
139 views
w026-IMG_0453.jpg
Wakamatsu Castle as seen from the rear.137 views
025-IMG_0044.jpg
Kotokuji temple136 views
036-IMG_0652.jpg
Grave of Iinuma Sadakichi (Sadao) (1854-1931). His grave was built here in 1957 for the 90th anniversary of the Byakkotai's demise. 飯沼貞吉135 views
052-IMG_0644.jpg
Byakko Kannon statue135 views
w015-IMG_0071.jpg
Foilage on the slopes of Honmaru134 views
033-IMG_0604.jpg
On the left of the gravestones, there is a monument for a poem composed by Lord Matsudaira Katamori, the last Aizu lord and whom the Byakkotai died for. 幾人の 涙は石にそそぐとも その名は世々に 朽じとぞ思う134 views幾人の 涙は石にそそぐとも その名は世々に 朽じとぞ思う
Ikutari no namida wa ishi ni sosogu tomo sono na wa yoyo ni kuji to zo omou
"No matter how many people pour their tears on these stones, these names will never fade from the world."
w031-IMG_0331.jpg
Honmaru Uzumimon Gate and tenshukaku castle tower.133 views
012-IMG_0047.jpg
Entrance doors to Lord Gamo Ujisato's gravesite within Kotokuji temple which is a Zen temple of the Rinzai Sect.133 views
019-IMG_0034.jpg
Lord Gamo Ujisato's grave. This is a secondary grave, where his hair is buried. His main grave is at a temple in Kyoto where he died at age 40.133 views
026-IMG_0620.jpg
On the right side are more gravestones. These are 31 Byakkotai members who died in battle. 戦死133 views
w033-IMG_0335.jpg
Castle tower as seen from Honmaru Uzumimon Gate. In the lower right is the ticket office to enter the castle tower. Castle tower admission is 400 yen for adults. Or pay 500 yen to include the ticket to see the Rinkaku Tea House. Open 8:30 am to 5 pm.132 views
047-IMG_0660.jpg
Statue of a teenage samurai looking at Wakamatsu Castle.132 views
050-IMG_0666.jpg
Arrow points to Tsuruga-jo Castle.132 views
053-IMG_0645.jpg
132 views
w023-IMG_0124.jpg
Taikomon Gate where there was a multi-story turret which had a taiko drum used to signal the coming of a lord or for emergencies. 太鼓門131 views
016-IMG_0630.jpg
131 views
066-IMG_0692.jpg
Sazaedo, a unique wooden, hexagonal structure which you will see when coming down from Iimoriyama.131 views
w121-IMG_0442.jpg
Inside Rinkaku Tea Ceremony House129 views
022-IMG_0613.jpg
This has become a national shrine, almost as important as Sengakuji where the 47 masterless samurai are buried.129 views
039-IMG_0656.jpg
Site where they committed seppuku (hara-kiri). 自刃の地129 views
014-IMG_0045.jpg
Grounds of Lord Gamo Ujisato's gravesite within Kotokuji temple. Since Ujisato was a Christian lord, it is ironic that he be buried in a Buddhist temple in Kyoto and Aizu-Wakamatsu.128 views
018-IMG_0598.jpg
Byakkotai Graves128 views
032-IMG_0610.jpg
Names of Byakkotai members, all 14 to 17 years old.128 views
015-IMG_0729.jpg
Byakkotai statue at Aizu-Wakamatsu Station127 views
024-IMG_0043.jpg
127 views
021-IMG_0614.jpg
127 views
019-IMG_0597.jpg
Byakkotai Graves126 views
034-IMG_0677.jpg
A short walk away is the grave of Iinuma Sadakichi, the only Byakkotai survivor who had slit himself, but was rescued by a villager passing by when everyone else had killed themselves.126 views
060-IMG_0578.jpg
Opened in 1956, the Byakkotai Memorial Museum has numerous artifacts related to the Byakkotai as well as the Shinsengumi. Photography inside is not allowed. Admission 400 yen.126 views
068-IMG_0698.jpg
Sazaedo126 views
w028-IMG_0459.jpg
These stairs on the castle's stone walls are called Musha-bashiri. They enabled the warriors to run up to the turrets quickly during attacks. It is one distinguishing feature of the castle. 武者走り124 views
w120-IMG_0443.jpg
Rinkaku Tea Ceremony House. Shoan, the son of tea master Sen Rikyu (who was ordered to committ seppuku by Hideyoshi), came here to practice tea in the late 16th century under the auspices of Lord Gamo Ujisato who himself was a tea expert. 茶室麟閣124 views
031-IMG_0602.jpg
Monument for teenage samurai who died in battle.122 views
w098-IMG_0389.jpg
Inside the Hashiri Nagaya corridor is a gift shop. This is connected directly to the castle tower and also connects to the reconstructed Hoshii Turret.. 走長屋121 views
037-IMG_0649.jpg
About Iinuma Sadakichi (later changed his first name to Sadao)121 views
067-IMG_0695.jpg
Sazaedo121 views
w016-IMG_0092.jpg
Kitade-maru 北出丸120 views
028-IMG_0623.jpg
Tombs of those Byakkotai who died in action.119 views
w122-IMG_0463.jpg
Rokabashi Bridge 廊下橋117 views
010-IMG_0008.jpg
Aizu-Wakamatsu Station 会津若松駅116 views
063-IMG_0688.jpg
Uga Shrine 宇賀神社116 views
w085-IMG_0358.jpg
The 5th and top floor of castle tower has a nice lookout deck all.115 views
035-IMG_0648.jpg
Grave of Iinuma Sadakichi, the only Byakkotai warrior who survived and told the story of this valiant teenage group.115 views
064-IMG_0689.jpg
Byakkotai enshrined in Uga Shrine115 views
w018-IMG_0095.jpg
Monument on Kitade-maru 北出丸114 views
w020-IMG_0102.jpg
Tsubakizaka Slope which is a bridge to the castle tower. 椿坂114 views
030-IMG_0390.jpg
Hand-painted candles114 views
029-IMG_0624.jpg
Their names, age, and "senshi" 戦死 (died in battle) are engraved on the stones.114 views
049-IMG_0674.jpg
Statue faces Tsuruga-jo Castle which can be seen in the distance.114 views
051-IMG_0665.jpg
114 views
w017-IMG_0091.jpg
Foilage on Kitade-maru 北出丸112 views
w022-IMG_0120.jpg
Tsubakizaka Slope which is lined with cherry trees. 椿坂111 views
w041-IMG_0181.jpg
On the west side is this Kurogane-mon Gate with steel doors. This is another way into the the main Honmaru grounds. During the Boshin War, the castle lord directed his troops from here. 鉄門111 views
w112-IMG_0415.jpg
A warrior dummy shows how stones can be dropped through the stone hole on the floor.111 views
w123-IMG_0465.jpg
Rokabashi Bridge 廊下橋111 views
040-IMG_0676.jpg
111 views
w019-IMG_0116.jpg
Foilage and stone gate110 views
025-IMG_0628.jpg
110 views
023-IMG_0616.jpg
110 views
w084-IMG_0345.jpg
Inside castle tower. This scene depicts a storage room for salt. Unfortunately, photography is not permitted inside the castle tower's museum area.109 views
024-IMG_0618.jpg
109 views
030-IMG_0599.jpg
109 views
044-IMG_0663.jpg
109 views
w025-IMG_0129.jpg
Right beyond the Taikomon Gate is a tourist info office, cafe, restrooms, and benches.108 views
w032-IMG_0325.jpg
Castle tower as seen from Honmaru Uzumimon Gate108 views
022-IMG_0038.jpg
Explanation of the kanji characters on the tombstone. From top to bottom, the characters are for "Sky, wind, fire, water, and earth."108 views
027-IMG_0621.jpg
Tombs of those Byakkotai who died in action.108 views
041-IMG_0657.jpg
108 views
w099-IMG_0431.jpg
The gift shop also has a gallery of local crafts such as lacquerware.107 views
046-IMG_0671.jpg
A recent addition is this statue of a teenage samurai looking at Wakamatsu Castle.107 views
043-IMG_0670.jpg
107 views
w024-IMG_0128.jpg
Taikomon Gate stonework106 views
w034-IMG_0136.jpg
Castle tower as seen from the west side full of cherry trees. Tsuruga-jo Castle Park is one of Japan's 100 Best Cherry Blossom Spots.106 views
w103-IMG_0401.jpg
Inside the reconstructed Minami Hashiri Nagaya Longhouse. It is a long corridor with a few small storage rooms. 南走長屋106 views
w037-IMG_0151.jpg
Wakamatsu Castle tower, called tenshukaku. In 1590, Gamo Ujisato became the castle lord and he built a 7-story castle tower completed in 1593. He renamed the castle Tsuruga-jo and renamed the town from Kurokawa to Wakamatsu.105 views
042-IMG_0659.jpg
105 views
w058-IMG_0297.jpg
Tsurugajo Castle. The castle tower entrance can be seen.102 views
w030-IMG_0338.jpg
Honmaru Uzumimon Gate which leads to the castle tower. There was a turret here on the stone foundation. 本丸埋門101 views
w105-IMG_0404.jpg
A small room along the Minami Hashiri Nagaya Longhouse.101 views
048-IMG_0658.jpg
100 views
w035-IMG_0141.jpg
Castle tower as seen from the west side in the Obikurawa 帯郭99 views
w106-IMG_0429.jpg
An open window along the Minami Hashiri Nagaya Longhouse.99 views
w113-IMG_0416.jpg
Stone-dropping hole.99 views
028-IMG_0476.jpg
99 views
021-IMG_0036.jpg
The tombstone has five segments each with a kanji character. 五輪塔99 views
w039-IMG_0175.jpg
Tsuruga-jo Castle tower. It is lit up at night.98 views
w038-IMG_0156.jpg
The castle tower was reconstructed as a ferroconcrete building in Sept. 1965 on its original site.98 views
w087-IMG_0348.jpg
Honmaru as seen from the top of the castle tower.98 views
w092-IMG_0366.jpg
Looking east. These are cherry trees below.98 views
w109-IMG_0410.jpg
A warrior dummy shows how a hole in the wall is used.98 views
w116-IMG_0336.jpg
Tsurugajo Inari Shrine98 views
w036-IMG_0169.jpg
Castle tower as seen from the west side in the Obikurawa 帯郭97 views
w101-IMG_0394.jpg
Inside the Kurogane-mon Gate is a mini theater.97 views
w119-IMG_0441.jpg
Rinkaku Tea Ceremony House. 茶室麟閣96 views
011-IMG_0007.jpg
Aizu-Wakamatsu Station 会津若松駅96 views
w102-IMG_0398.jpg
95 views
029-IMG_0477.jpg
95 views
w043-IMG_0437.jpg
It took about 3 years to reconstruct this Hoshii-yagura turret using traditional construction methods. It was the castle's largest turret mainly used to store food.. 干飯櫓94 views
w093-IMG_0362.jpg
Tourist info office below.94 views
w115-IMG_0424.jpg
Roof of nagaya longhouse.94 views
w118-IMG_0275.jpg
Entrance to Rinkaku Tea Ceremony House 茶室麟閣94 views
017-IMG_0024.jpg
Path to Lord Gamo Ujisato's gravesite94 views
016-IMG_0019.jpg
Poem monument reads 限りあれば吹かねど花は散るものを心短き春の山風94 views
045-IMG_0672.jpg
94 views
013-IMG_0046.jpg
Family crest on door. (Not the Gamo crest.)93 views
w045-IMG_0185.jpg
Kurogane-mon Gate on the left, connected to the castle tower on the right via the Hashiri-nagaya Longhouse which houses a gift shop 南走長屋.92 views
w053-IMG_0283.jpg
92 views
w089-IMG_0350.jpg
The nagaya longhouse corridor leading to the reconstructed Hoshii Yagura turret.92 views
w100-IMG_0399.jpg
This is over the Kurogane-mon Gate.92 views
w108-IMG_0427.jpg
Inside the reconstructed Hoshii Yagura Turret on the lower floor.92 views
024-IMG_0050.jpg
Shopping street92 views
w042-IMG_0436.jpg
After entering the Kurogane-mon Gate, you can see the Hoshii-yagura turret 干飯櫓 on the left which is connected to the castle tower via the Minami Hashiri-nagaya Longhouse 南走長屋. Both were reconstructed in April 2001.91 views
w052-IMG_0277.jpg
Numerous pine trees are planted within the castle grounds. At night, the castle is lit up.91 views
w086-IMG_0381.jpg
Lookout deck on castle tower. Great views all around.91 views
w090-IMG_0370.jpg
Hashiri Nagaya Longhouse in the foreground, then the Kurogane-mon Gate, the reconstructed Minami Hashiri Nagaya Longhouse, and the reconstructed Hoshii Yagura turret at the far end. We can walk inside these structures as well.91 views
w040-IMG_0178.jpg
Tsuruga-jo Castle tower90 views
w044-IMG_0188.jpg
Stone sink to wash the mouths of horses. A horse riding ground was nearby. 馬洗石90 views
w088-IMG_0349.jpg
Honmaru as seen from the top of the castle tower. 本丸90 views
w078-IMG_0224.jpg
Rokabashi Bridge connects the Honmaru to the Ni-no-Maru. Originally, this bridge could be cut down in the event of an attack. 廊下橋90 views
027-IMG_0491.jpg
Sculpture near the Fukushima Prefectural Museum90 views
w050-IMG_0280.jpg
"Wakamatsu" means young pine.89 views
w104-IMG_0403.jpg
Inside the reconstructed Minami Hashiri Nagaya Longhouse. Impressive reconstruction.89 views
w057-IMG_0296.jpg
Aizu-Wakamatsu Castle88 views
w080-IMG_0260.jpg
Kojo no Tsukihi Poetry Monument dedicated to the poem "Kojo no Tsukihi" written by college student Tsuchii Bansui after he saw how the castle lay in ruins after the Boshin War. 荒城の月碑88 views
w083-IMG_0344.jpg
Castle tower stonework88 views
w094-IMG_0363.jpg
Looking toward Kitade-maru.88 views
w096-IMG_0386.jpg
Alps88 views
w110-IMG_0411.jpg
Stairs to go to the upper floor of the Hoshii Yagura turret.88 views
w114-IMG_0422.jpg
Upper floor of the Hoshii Yagura turret. It is used as an exhibition room. 干飯櫓88 views
w107-IMG_0426.jpg
88 views
014-IMG_0727.jpg
Aizu-Wakamatsu Station88 views
017-IMG_0722.jpg
Entrance to pedestrian underpass in front of Aizu-Wakamatsu Station with Byakkotai (White tiger) painting88 views
018-IMG_0009.jpg
Hi-color town bus, very convenient and cheap (500 yen for a day pass) to reach the city's major sights. It runs every 30 min. or so. ハイカラさん88 views
026-IMG_0492.jpg
Fukushima Prefectural Museum88 views
020-IMG_0035.jpg
88 views
018-IMG_0033.jpg
Lord Gamo Ujisato's grave.87 views
w046-IMG_0193.jpg
Kurogane-mon Gate on the left, Hashiri-nagaya Longhouse, and castle tower.86 views
w091-IMG_0364.jpg
Mt. Bandai is on the right.86 views
w111-IMG_0413.jpg
Upper floor of the Hoshii Yagura turret. 干飯櫓86 views
w068-IMG_0317.jpg
Heads up view85 views
w054-IMG_0288.jpg
Wakamatsu Castle has only these buildings standing. No other turrets, towers, or palace buildings remain.85 views
012-IMG_0005.jpg
Aizu-Wakamatsu Station 会津若松駅85 views
019-IMG_0052.jpg
Hi-color town bus stop85 views
w056-IMG_0289.jpg
Stone foundation for Gosankai, a three-story building used as a secret meeting place. Before the castle was dismantled, this building was moved to Amida temple within the city.84 views
w072-IMG_0209.jpg
Tsukimi Yagura turret (Moonviewing Turret) 月見櫓84 views
w070-IMG_0311.jpg
Honmaru 本丸84 views
w071-IMG_0207.jpg
Ridge of castle moat on the south side.84 views
w079-IMG_0252.jpg
84 views
w082-IMG_0343.jpg
Castle tower stonework with the characteristic stone steps.84 views
w097-IMG_0380.jpg
The main Honmaru entrance84 views
w051-IMG_0282.jpg
Wakamatsu Castle and pine trees.83 views
w055-IMG_0294.jpg
83 views
w073-IMG_0211.jpg
Top of Tsukimi Yagura turret (Moonviewing Turret). It was a two-story turret used to store weapons. It also offered a great view of the moon. 月見櫓83 views
w064-IMG_0309.jpg
The castle tower was renovated on the inside in 2004.82 views
w065-IMG_0433.jpg
Hashiri Nagaya Longhouse connects to the castle tower.82 views
w063-IMG_0314.jpg
82 views
w069-IMG_0318.jpg
Stone foundation of castle tower82 views
w117-IMG_0339.jpg
82 views
020-IMG_0713.jpg
"Akabei" town bus which goes in the opposite direction of the Hi-color town bus. The same day pass can be used for both buses. あかべぇ82 views
023-IMG_0012.jpg
Aizu-Wakamatsu City Hall 会津若松市役所82 views
w061-IMG_0306.jpg
Wakamatsu Castle as seen from Honmaru81 views
w059-IMG_0300.jpg
Pine tree and Tsuruga-jo Castle. 鶴ヶ城81 views
w062-IMG_0310.jpg
The castle tower (donjon) stands over 36 meters high. Its stone wall is 11 meters high.81 views
w074-IMG_0216.jpg
Chatsubo Yagura turret (Tea Pot Turret). There was a two-story turret which stored tea ceremony implements and weapons. 茶壷櫓の跡81 views
w075-IMG_0239.jpg
View from Chatsubo Yagura turret81 views
w095-IMG_0359.jpg
Shadow of castle tower.81 views
021-IMG_0715.jpg
Inside the Akabei town bus.81 views
w081-IMG_0320.jpg
Entrance to Tsuruga-jo Castle tower (tenshukaku).80 views
013-IMG_0723.jpg
Aizu-Wakamatsu Station at twilight80 views
015-IMG_0017.jpg
80 views
w060-IMG_0302.jpg
79 views
w067-IMG_0316.jpg
79 views
022-IMG_0714.jpg
Bus stop79 views
w066-IMG_0434.jpg
78 views
016-IMG_0721.jpg
Entrance to pedestrian underpass in front of Aizu-Wakamatsu Station78 views
w076-IMG_0233.jpg
View of Wakamatsu Castle from Chatsubo Yagura turret77 views
w077-IMG_0222.jpg
Castle most and Rokabashi Bridge 廊下橋77 views
216 files on 1 page(s)