Last additions - Northern Culture Museum 北方文化博物館
n048-IMG_9195.jpg
Dec 03, 2007
n050-IMG_9211.jpg
Inside the Shukokan rice warehouse, now an antique exhibition room. 集古館Dec 03, 2007
n049-IMG_9206.jpg
Museum officeDec 03, 2007
n044-IMG_9160.jpg
Rear drawing room (Urazashiki) adjacent to the Ohiroma main drawing room.Dec 03, 2007
n046-IMG_9180.jpg
Built in 1891, Sanraku-tei, a highly unusual triangular tea house. 三楽亭Dec 03, 2007
n051-IMG_9215.jpg
Inner Gate. Museum Web siteDec 03, 2007
n045-IMG_9161.jpg
Dec 03, 2007
n039-IMG_9154.jpg
Corner of rear drawing room (urazashiki)Dec 03, 2007
n042-IMG_9155.jpg
The rear drawing room was where guests would wait until they were welcomed into the Ohiroma main drawing room.Dec 03, 2007
n035-IMG_9149.jpg
With 100 tatami mats, the Ohiroma drawing room is the most impressive room in the house.Dec 03, 2007
n047-IMG_9184.jpg
Inside Sanraku-tei with unusually shaped tatami mats to fit the triangular floor. It has three rooms, one was a study and another was a tea ceremony room.Dec 03, 2007
n041-IMG_9157.jpg
Dec 03, 2007
n040-IMG_9156.jpg
Impressive garden views from the rear drawing room (urazashiki)Dec 03, 2007
n037-IMG_9150.jpg
Courtyard gardenDec 03, 2007
n043-IMG_9158.jpg
Garden facing the drawing rooms. 庭園Dec 03, 2007
n031-IMG_9134.jpg
Ohiroma drawing room and adjacent garden in autumn.Dec 03, 2007
n036-IMG_9137.jpg
Courtyard garden 中庭Dec 03, 2007
n033-IMG_9146.jpg
Veranda of Ohiroma drawing roomDec 03, 2007
n038-IMG_9153.jpg
Veranda along the courtyard gardenDec 03, 2007
n034-IMG_9148.jpg
Ohiroma drawing room was used only a few times a year for wedding and funeral receptions, etc.Dec 03, 2007
n032-IMG_9147.jpg
Ohiroma drawing roomDec 03, 2007
n027-IMG_9164.jpg
CorridorDec 03, 2007
n029-IMG_9135.jpg
Lacquerware on displayDec 03, 2007
n030-IMG_9142.jpg
Room with a view: This is the centerpiece of the former home, a large drawing room (Ohiroma) used for large gatherings. It gives a marvelous view of the garden. 大広間Dec 03, 2007
n025-IMG_9123.jpg
Courtyard garden as seen from the 2nd floor.Dec 03, 2007
n023-IMG_9119.jpg
2nd floor exhibition room displays various artifacts of the Itoh family. The room formerly served as a storeroom and workroom for making futon and rags. 考古資料館Dec 03, 2007
n028-IMG_9133.jpg
VerandaDec 03, 2007
n026-IMG_9129.jpg
Dec 03, 2007
n022-IMG_9117.jpg
Hearth in the kitchen. A bale of rice (60 kg) was cooked every day. Over 50 maids, cooks, and other servants worked in the house.Dec 03, 2007
n024-IMG_9127.jpg
PlateDec 03, 2007
n019-IMG_9113.jpg
Corridor facing the courtyard.Dec 03, 2007
n021-IMG_9116.jpg
Irori hearth next to the kitchen. 囲炉裏Dec 03, 2007
n020-IMG_9114.jpg
Display of stuffed toki or crested ibis, an endangered species. Official bird of Niigata and raised on Sado island.Dec 03, 2007
n018-IMG_9167.jpg
Cha-no-ma living roomDec 03, 2007
n017-IMG_9168.jpg
The first room you see is this Cha-no-ma living room where the head of the household greeted guests. Built in 1885-1887, the house has more than 60 rooms, with a floor space of about 4,000 sq. meters. 茶の間Dec 03, 2007
n015-IMG_9108.jpg
It was Japan's first private museum to receive governmental approval. During the years following, it took several years to rebuild the garden and buildings. This is the museum office next to the entrance.Dec 03, 2007
n016-IMG_9197.jpg
Entrance foyer (unused). I had the pleasure of meeting Itoh Bunkichi VIII who explained about how the property was saved by Lt. Wright. He was the one who built the monument for his father and Lt. Wright.Dec 03, 2007
n014-IMG_9213.jpg
When Wright found out that Bunkichi was a fellow Pennsylvania University graduate, he fully supported the preservation of the property. They saved the property by converting it into a museum. A foundation was established and the property was donated to itPictured is Ralph Wright and Itoh Bunkichi VIII (1927- ), the son of Bunkichi VII (1896-1958).1 commentsDec 03, 2007
n013-IMG_9201.jpg
Acting on reports that the Itoh property was storing hidden materials for the old Imperial Army, Lt. Ralph E. Wright from the American Occupation forces conducted a search and met Itoh Bunkichi VII, the owner. Photo: Grave of Ralph E. White-Peterson.Dec 03, 2007
n011-IMG_9107.jpg
The museum is within a spacious, garden-like grounds. It includes the main house, tea houses, storehouse, and a few shops and restaurants.Dec 03, 2007
n012-IMG_9208.jpg
Monument for Itoh Bunkichi VII (1896-1958) and Lt. Ralph E. Wright (from Peoria, Illinois). Right after WWII in 1945, they saved the property from being demolished due to the Land Reform Act.Dec 03, 2007
n010-IMG_9218.jpg
Entrance to Northern Culture Museum, formerly the Japanese-style mansion of the Ito farming family who were a wealthy landowner from the 18th century.1 commentsDec 03, 2007
   
42 files on 1 page(s)