|Toyosato, Shiga (豊郷町; Toyosato-chō)|
|Toyosato Primary School designed by William Vories. More Toyosato photos here.|
|Google Map of Toyosato here.|
|Location||Shiga Prefecture, Kinki region, Honshu island, JAPAN|
|Town Centers||Toyosato Station|
|Major Sights||Itoh Chube'e Memorial House, Toyosato Primary School|
|Major Gateways||Toyosato Station|
|Train Stations||Ohmi Railways Toyosato Station|
|Claim to Fame||Toyosato Primary School (controversy over preservation or destruction)|
|Neighbors||Hikone, Aisho-cho, Kora-cho|
|Historical Persons||Itoh Chube'e|
|Links||Toyosato Articles | Toyosato Photos|
|Toyosato Tourist Information|
|Location||Same as Town Hall|
|Volunteer Guides||Tel: 0749-35-8114|
|Toyosato Town Hall 豊郷町役場|
Ishibatake 375, Toyosato-cho, Inukami-gun, Shiga-ken 529-1169 JAPAN
|Official Site||Japanese | English|
|Tree:||Ubame oak ウバメガシ|
This page is 75% complete. Last updated Jan. 11, 2011
by Philbert Ono
Toyosato (豊郷町; -chō) is a town in eastern Shiga Prefecture.
With only 7.78 square km, Toyosato is Shiga's smallest town in area. It may be best known for the old Toyosato Primary School designed by William Merrell Vories in 1937. The town renovated the old building and opened it to the public in May 2009. A few of the rooms are in use as offices, pubic library, and children's play room. A few of the old classrooms have also been restored to their original state.
Anime fans have also begun visiting this old Toyosato Elementary School since it served as the model for the fictional high school in a late-night anime program called "K-ON!" (けいおん！) which started to air in April 2010. The town is trying to capitalize on this newfound fame by setting up a K-ON cafe and selling commemorative postage stamps with pictures of the school.
Toyosato also is the birthplace of Itoh Chube'e, the founder of ITOCHU Corporation, one of Japan's largest trading companies. His house is open to the public.
Train Lines & Stations
- From Tokyo Station to Toyosato Station: JR Tokaido Shinkansen to Maibara Station (2.5 hours), then transfer to Ohmi Railways for Toyosato Station (27 min.).
- From Maibara Station to Toyosato Station: 27 min. via Ohmi Railways
- From Hikone Station to Toyosato Station: 16 min. via Ohmi Railways
- From Yokaichi Station to Toyosato Station: 15 min. via Ohmi Railways
- Kansai International Airport
- Central Japan International Airport (Centrair)
- Osaka International Airport
|Toyosato Primary School gate||Toyosato Primary School||Itoh Chube'e Memorial House|
|Itoh Chube'e Memorial House||Itoh Chube'e Monument||Toyosato Station|
- Toyosato Primary School 豊郷小学校 - Toyosato gained national attention when this old elementary school building designed by William Merrell Vories was going to be torn down by the mayor in opposition to activists who wanted to preserve the building. The old building still remains while a new school has been built. The town did an excellent job in renovating the old building and opened the old school to visitors in May 2009. A few of the original 1930s-style classrooms have been restored and opened for public viewing. The school auditorium and former school library (now a gallery and event space) are also open for public viewing. There are also exhibition rooms, local Board of Education offices, public library, and tourist info counter. If you like Vories or architecture, visiting this school is highly recommended. Admission free. Within walking distance from Toyosato Station.
- Itoh Chube'e Memorial House 伊藤忠兵衛記念館 - Itoh Chube'e (1842-1903) was the founder of Itochu Corporation (C. Itoh) and Marubeni, two of Japan's largest trading companies, in 1858. This house displays his former residence and some of his possessions. It is on the Nakasendo Road. A short walk from Toyosato Station, the house is open to the public on Tue., Thu., and Sat. Free admission. Official site here.
- Kurenai-en Park くれない園 - Small park with a monument dedicated to Itoh Chube'e. Built in 1935 and near the Itoh Chube'e Memorial House. Another monument dedicated to his brother Chobe'e (Chobei) is on the former site of Chobei's home, now a parking lot.
- Senjuji temple 千樹寺 - One of the places purported to be where the Goshu Ondo 江州音頭, Shiga's bon dance originated.
- Yutaka Kaikan 豊会館 - Local history museum in the former home of Fujino Kibe'e (Kibei) 藤野喜兵衛 who was an Omi merchant peddling dry goods all the way to Hokkaido where he expanded to fishing and became very successful. Open 9 am to 4 pm, closed Fri. Small admission charged.
- Most sights are within walking distance from the train station.
- It is a very rural town, with no souvenir shops nor restaurants.
If you need a taxi, call for one at the train station.
Placemarks are in English in the Google Map.
- [http Sightseeing Map of Toyosato]
- Aug. - Goshu Ondo bon dance at Senjuji temple.
|Hare and tortoise||Toyosato Elementary School classroom|
No videos at this time.
Other sights in neighboring cities/towns within easy reach from Toyosato.
- 1858 - At age 15, Itoh Chube'e (Chubei) founds Itoh Chube'e Shoten, now ITOCHU Corporation, dealing with textiles.
- 1898 - Toyosato Station opens.
- 1937 - Toyosato Primary School's classroom building and auditorium, designed by William Merrell Vories, are completed. Cost is donated by a director of Itoh Chubee Shoten, forerunner of Itoh-chu Corp.
- 1971 - Toyosato-mura village becomes Toyosato-cho town.
- 1999 - Toyosato mayor Ohno Wasaburo 大野和三郎 becomes mayor and announces his plan to demolish Toyosato Primary School and build a new school, citing the old building's earthquake vulnerability.
- 2002 - Citizens against the demolition of Toyosato Primary School succeed in obtaining a court order to stop the demolition. The mayor still proceeded to destroy part of the school, but soon faced protesters who camped out inside the school buildings. The mayor relented and the old school was saved.
- 2003 - A recall election for mayor was held, and Ohno Wasaburo is reelected. A new school is built while the old building is preserved.
- 2009 - The old Toyosato Primary School designed by William Vories is renovated and opened to the public in May.
Recent Toyosato News and Weather
The latest five headlines for Toyosato from Shiga News are displayed below. Click to view the latest stories.
Shiga gas station sells veggie-based biofuel - The Japan Times, July 28, 2006
Toyosato mayor faces suit over school fiasco - The Japan Times, March 5, 2003
- The local Toyosato Hospital was established in 1925 with funds donated by Itoh Chobe'e (七代目伊藤長兵衛), Chube'e's older brother and co-founder of Marubeni Corporation.
- Itoh Chube'e 伊藤忠兵衛 (1842-1903)
- Omi shonin merchant and founder of Itochu Corporation (C. Itoh) and Marubeni, two of Japan's largest trading companies, in 1858. At age 15, he started out peddling his linen goods on foot from Shiga, traveling west to Wakayama and Osaka. He soon set up shop in Osaka. He even had a shop in San Francisco, California. His second son Seiichi, also born in Toyosato, set up the C. Itoh company in 1918 and started importing textiles from England where he had studied abroad.
- Shiga Prefecture
- Shiga Prefecture Sights
- Shiga Prefecture Transportation
- Shiga Prefecture Municipalities
|Municipalities of Shiga Prefecture 滋賀県|
|Cities & Towns: Aisho-cho | Higashi-Omi | Hikone | Hino-cho | Koka | Konan | Kora-cho | Kusatsu | Maibara | Moriyama | Nagahama | Omi-Hachiman | Otsu | Ritto | Ryuo-cho | Taga-cho | Takashima | Toyosato-cho | Yasu|
|愛荘町 | 東近江市 | 彦根市 | 日野町 | 甲賀市 | 湖南市 | 甲良町 | 草津市 | 米原市 | 守山市 | 長浜市 | 近江八幡市 | 大津市 | 栗東市 | 竜王町 | 多賀町 | 高島市 | 豊郷町 | 野洲市|
|Prefectures of Japan|
|Aichi | Akita | Aomori | Chiba | Ehime | Fukui | Fukuoka | Fukushima | Gifu | Gunma | Hiroshima | Hokkaido | Hyogo | Ibaraki | Ishikawa | Iwate | Kagawa | Kagoshima | Kanagawa | Kochi | Kumamoto | Kyoto | Mie | Miyagi | Miyazaki | Nagano | Nagasaki | Nara | Niigata | Oita | Okayama | Okinawa | Osaka | Saga | Saitama | Shiga | Shimane | Shizuoka | Tochigi | Tokushima | Tokyo | Tottori | Toyama | Wakayama | Yamagata | Yamaguchi | Yamanashi|