|Moriyama, Shiga (守山市; Moriyama-shi)|
|Sushi-kiri Matsuri More Moriyama photos here.|
|Location||Shiga Prefecture, Kinki region, Honshu island, JAPAN|
|Population||79,304 (623 foreigners) (2014-06-01)|
|City Centers||Moriyama Station|
|Major Sights||Nagisa Park, Biwako Ohashi Bridge|
|Major Gateways||JR Tokaido Line Moriyama Station|
|Train Stations||JR Tokaido Line Moriyama Station|
|Claim to Fame||Nakasendo stage town, the only city in Shiga to produce a Japanese prime minister|
|Neighbors||Kusatsu, Ritto, Yasu|
|Historical Persons||Uno Sosuke (75th Prime Minister of Japan)|
|Links||Moriyama Articles | Moriyama Photos|
|Moriyama Tourist Information|
|Location||〒524-8585 守山市吉身二丁目5-22 守山市役所環境経済部商工観光課内
|Tourist Links||Station tourist office Tourism Ass.|
|Int'l Association||Web site Tel: 077-583-4653|
|Volunteer Guides||Tel: 077-582-1131|
|Moriyama City Hall 守山市役所|
|Official Site||Japanese | English|
|Tree:||Camphor Laurel クスノキ|
|Sister Cities||Adrian, Michigan; Kauai, Hawaii, USA; Gongju, South Chungcheong province, South Korea|
This page is 75% complete. Last updated: Aug. 12, 2016
by Philbert Ono
Moriyama (守山市; Moriyama-shi) is a city in Shiga Prefecture east of Lake Biwa.
Lakeside city in southeastern Shiga and host to one end of the Biwako Ohashi Bridge spanning the neck of the lake's panhandle. Moriyama is another former lodging town (shukuba) on the Nakasendo Road with noted shrines and temples mostly on the west side (toward the lake) of the station. Other attractions include fire festivals in winter, flower gardens, and a beautiful art museum. For Shiga residents, Moriyama is where you go to obtain or renew your driver's license.
|Katsube Shrine Fire Festival||Sumiyoshi Shrine Fire Festival||Nagisa Park rape blossoms|
|Sushi-kiri Matsuri||Naginata Odori||Sagawa Art Museum|
- Moriyama-juku 守山宿 - Established in 1642, Moriyama-juku was the sixty-seventh of the sixty-nine stations or shukuba post towns on the Nakasendo Road. It is the eighth Nakasendo station in Shiga (following Musa-juku in Omi-Hachiman), and one of ten Nakasendo stations in Shiga. There is very little left. Near JR Moriyama Station on the JR Biwako Line. Map
- Nagisa Park 第一なぎさ公園 - Rape blossoms (nano-hana) bloom in winter from early-Jan. to mid-March at this lakeside park in Moriyama, Shiga Prefecture. About 12,000 flower plants carpet the area in yellow. And in July-Aug., there are sunflowers. Free admission. Map
- Biwako Ohashi Bridge - The lake's largest bridge spans the neck of Lake Biwa. Buses available to cross the bridge from Moriyama Station to Katata Station. Map
- Sagawa Art Museum 佐川美術館 - Large art museum with beautiful architecture resembling a Shinto shrine. Operated by the Sagawa Kyubin door-to-door courier company, the museum has an impressive collection of paintings by renown painter Hirayama Ikuo, sculpture by Sato Churyo, and tea bowls by potter Raku Kichizaemon. Opened in 1998 to mark the 40th anniversary of the company's founding. Highly recommended. Admission 1,000 yen for adults. Open 9:30 am - 5 pm, closed Mon. (open if a national holiday and closed on Tue. instead). From JR Moriyama Station's west (Nishi) exit, go to bus stop 1. 25-min. ride to the museum (bus fare 450 yen). Parking available. Map
- Moriyama Rose and Herb Garden もりやまバラ・ハーブ園 - Rose gardens and greenhouses delight your eyes and nose during May and June and Oct. See 82 species of roses and 100 herbs. Admission 200 yen. Buses run from Moriyama Station. Map
- Moriyama Ashikari Garden もりやま芦刈園 - Noted for hydrangea in mid-June to July. Buses run from Moriyama Station. Get off at Sugie Minami-guchi (杉江南口) bus stop. Open from 8 am to 7 pm during June and July. Hours vary during other months. Map
- Omi Myoren Lotus Park and Museum 近江妙連公園・資料館 - Two small lotus ponds and a nice Lotus flower museum. The lotus blooms in late July to mid-Aug. Moriyama's official flower is the lotus. Open every day 9 am to 5 pm during June to September (closed Tue.). In other months, open only on weekends and national holidays. Admission 200 yen. Buses run from Moriyama Station west exit. Get off at Tanaka bus stop. Map
|Moriyama's official mascot|
- Mid-Jan.: Katsube Shrine Fire Festival 勝部神社火まつり - Both this shrine and Sumiyoshi Shrine light giant torches for the festival's climax. According to legend, a dragon was finally slain during the Kamakura Period, and Emperor Tsuchikado then recovered from his illness. When the dragon was burned, the body fell on Katsube Shrine while the head fell on Sumiyoshi Shrine. Unfortunately, you cannot see the festival at both shrines since they are held around the same time. Katsube Shrine's fire festival is bigger with more torches, twelve of them. Map
- Mid-Jan.: Sumiyoshi Shrine Fire Festival 住吉神社火まつり - Sister festival to the Katsube Shrine Fire Festival. Sumiyoshi Shrine's fire festival is smaller with fewer (six) torches which represent the head of the slain dragon. Map
- May 5: Naginata Odori 長刀踊り まつり - Held annually on May 5 by Ozu Jinja Shrine, the festival consists of dances and music by children, taiko drumming, a naginata dance and acrobatics by boys using a pole sword, and a roundtrip procession from Ozu Shrine to Ozu Wakamiya Shrine. Map
- May 5: Sushi-kiri Matsuri すし切りまつり - Held every May 5 at Shimoniikawa Shrine, an unusual festival with two young lads cutting funa-zushi fermented fish (crucian carp native to Lake Biwa) as an offering. Afterward, they offer the cut pieces of funa-zushi to festival spectators for free. Shimoniikawa Shrine worships a god named Toyoki-iribiko-no-Mikoto (豊城入彦命) who was the first son of Emperor Sujin 崇神天皇, Japan's tenth emperor. The shrine is a 20-min. bus ride from Moriyama Station, get off at Shimoniikawa Jinja-mae bus stop. Map
- Moriyama Station has a tourist info office open till 7 pm.
- Almost all the places of interest are on the west side of the train tracks.
- From Moriyama Station, there are buses going to Katata Station on the other side of the lake via the Biwako Ohashi Bridge.
Moriyama Station (守山駅) has buses going to farther places.
Rent a bicycle at the tourist office (077−514−3765) at the Moriyama Station west exit until 7:30 pm. Also bicycle rental at Laforet Biwako (phone: 077-584-2180), a hotel on the lakeshore (accessible by bus from the station).
Click on upper right icon to enlarge.
|Sushi-kiri Matsuri||Naginata Odori|
Click on the video image to start playing the video. More Shiga videos here.
Other sights in neighboring cities/towns within easy reach from Moriyama.
- Katata - Via bus crossing the Biwako Ohashi Bridge.
- 1889 Moriyama village founded.
- 1904 Moriyama village becomes a town.
- 1970 Moriyama-cho town becomes a city with a population of 35,000.
- Katsube Shrine Fire Festival video with kids - January 21, 2013
- Fire festivals in Moriyama - January 10, 2012
- Uno Sosuke (1922-1998) - Native of Moriyama and Japan's 75th prime minister during June-Sept. 1989. Resigned in disgrace after an extramarital affair with a Tokyo geisha was made public.
- Shiga Prefecture
- Shiga Prefecture Sights
- History of Shiga Prefecture
- Shiga Prefecture Transportation
|Municipalities of Shiga Prefecture 滋賀県|
|Cities & Towns: Aisho-cho | Higashi-Omi | Hikone | Hino-cho | Koka | Konan | Kora-cho | Kusatsu | Maibara | Moriyama | Nagahama | Omi-Hachiman | Otsu | Ritto | Ryuo-cho | Taga-cho | Takashima | Toyosato-cho | Yasu|
|愛荘町 | 東近江市 | 彦根市 | 日野町 | 甲賀市 | 湖南市 | 甲良町 | 草津市 | 米原市 | 守山市 | 長浜市 | 近江八幡市 | 大津市 | 栗東市 | 竜王町 | 多賀町 | 高島市 | 豊郷町 | 野洲市|
|Prefectures of Japan|
|Aichi | Akita | Aomori | Chiba | Ehime | Fukui | Fukuoka | Fukushima | Gifu | Gunma | Hiroshima | Hokkaido | Hyogo | Ibaraki | Ishikawa | Iwate | Kagawa | Kagoshima | Kanagawa | Kochi | Kumamoto | Kyoto | Mie | Miyagi | Miyazaki | Nagano | Nagasaki | Nara | Niigata | Oita | Okayama | Okinawa | Osaka | Saga | Saitama | Shiga | Shimane | Shizuoka | Tochigi | Tokushima | Tokyo | Tottori | Toyama | Wakayama | Yamagata | Yamaguchi | Yamanashi|