|Kusatsu, Shiga (草津市; Kusatsu-shi)|
|Kusatsu Shukuba Matsuri More Kusatsu photos here.|
|Location||Shiga Prefecture, Kinki region, Honshu island, JAPAN|
|Population||136,826 (1,879 foreigners) (2014-06-01)|
|City Centers||Kusatsu Station|
|Major Sights||Kusatsu-juku Honjin|
|Major Gateways||JR Kusatsu Station|
|Train Stations||JR Tokaido Line Kusatsu Station, Minami-Kusatsu Station|
|Claim to Fame||Crossroad stage town on Tokaido and Nakasendo Roads|
|Neighbors||Otsu, Moriyama, Ritto|
|Keywords||Tokaido Road, Nakasendo Road|
|Links||Kusatsu Articles | Kusatsu Photos|
|Kusatsu Tourist Information|
JR Kusatsu Station
|Tourist Links||Tourism Ass.|
|Int'l Association||Web site
Tel: 077-561-2322 FAX：077-561-2482
|Volunteer Guides||Tel: 077-566-3219|
|Kusatsu City Hall 草津市役所|
Kusatsu 3-13-30, Kusatsu-shi, Shiga 525-8588 JAPAN
|Phone/Fax||077-561-2327 Fax: 077-561-2483|
|Official Site||Japanese | English|
|Tree:||Fragrant orange-colored olive|
|Others:||Road markers for Tokaido/Nakasendo|
|Sister Cities||Pontiac, Michigan; Xuhui District, Shanghai, China; Kan'onji, Kagawa; Kusatsu-machi, Gunma|
This page is 65% complete. Last updated: June 2, 2017
by Philbert Ono
Kusatsu (草津市; -shi) is a city in southeastern Shiga Prefecture.
Adjacent to Otsu and a former post town (shukuba) at the crossroads of the Nakasendo Road and Tokaido Road. The city has a well-preserved Honjin lodge where VIPs (including Emperor Meiji) passing through town stayed during the feudal era. The annual Shukuba Matsuri in late April celebrates this post-town history.
Kusatsu Station is also the terminus of the Kusatsu Line which is connected to the Tokaido Main Line/Biwako Line. The Kusatsu Line is the main train line for Ritto, Konan, and Koka cities. It is Shiga Prefecture's busiest train station in terms of ridership (people boarding trains).
|Kusatsu-juku Honjin||Shukuba Matsuri||Karasumasan Lotus (no longer growing)|
|Yabase lakeside park||Ubaga mochi||Lake Biwa Museum|
- Lake Biwa Museum - Shiga's best museum and lake aquarium when you can learn about the lake's history, environmental sociology, and aquatic life. The museum restaurant also serves Biwa salmon (tastes like salmon) and invasive species black bass. On Karasuma Peninsula (accessible by bus from Kusatsu Station). See video below. Map
- Kusatsu-juku 草津宿 - Being the crossroads of both the Nakasendo and Tokaido Roads, Kusatsu was a busy place in the old days. The Honjin was the VIP lodge for feudal lords, emperors, etc. It has been magnificently preserved for all to see. It is Japan's largest remaining Honjin. Map
- Kusatsu-juku Kaido Koryu-kan 草津宿街道交流館 - History museum with various exhibits showing Kusatsu's post town history. Admission 200 yen. You can buy a set ticket good for both the Honjin and this history museum. Map
- Oiwake Guidepost road marker 追分道標 - Old road marker at the intersection of the Tokaido and Nakasendo Roads. The left side says "Left for Nakasendo Road" and the right side says "Right for Tokaido Road." Map
- Mizunomori Water Botanical Garden 水生植物公園みずの森 Until 2015, there was a breathtakingly huge lotus pond at Karasuma Peninsula blooming in July-Aug. Sadly by summer 2016, the lotus field was decimated by sandy soil and an increase of methane gas. Water lilies and other aquatic plants are displayed inside the greenhouse. Adjacent to Lake Biwa Museum. Map
- Yabase Port 矢橋港跡 - Site of the old Yabase Port where sail boats would return, as depicted by Hiroshige's woodblock print of Boats Returning to Yabase from his "Omi Hakkei" (Eight Views of Omi) series. Map
- April 29 - Kusatsu Shukuba Festival 草津宿場まつり - Annual festival held on April 29 to celebrate Kusatsu's history as a stage town on the Nakasendo and Tokaido Roads. Numerous events and activities are held such as flea markets, street & stage performances, and Japanese dances. The main highlight is the Kusatsu Jidai Gyoretsu procession of people dressed in historical costumes such as samurai and kimono ladies. Map
- Kusatsu Station is where you can get to most all places of interest, either on foot or by bus (to Karasuma Peninsula, etc.)
Train Lines & Stations
- From Tokyo Station to Kusatsu Station: 140 min. via JR Tokaido Shinkansen Nozomi to Kyoto Station, then 18 min. to Kusatsu Station via Tokaido/Biwako Line.
- From JR Kyoto Station to Kusatsu Station: 18 min. via JR Tokaido/Biwako Line.
- From JR Otsu Station to Kusatsu Station: 9 min. via JR Tokaido/Biwako Line.
- From JR Maibara Station to Kusatsu Station: 40 min. via Tokaido/Biwako Line.
- From JR Hikone Station to Kusatsu Station: 35 min. via Tokaido/Biwako Line.
- From JR Kusatsu Station to Minami-Kusatsu Station: 3 min. via JR Kusatsu Line.
- From Kibukawa Station to Kusatsu Station: 24 min. via Kusatsu Line.
- Kansai International Airport
- Central Japan International Airport (Centrair)
- Osaka International Airport
The major sights and facilties along the train lines are as follows:
JR Tokaido Line
- Kusatsu Station (草津駅) - A former stage town on the Nakasendo Road. The Kusatsu-juku Honjin is a marvelous example of the luxury accomodations used by feudal lords and emperors when they traveled in the old days. Tourist info booth near turnstile. Bicycle rental (phone: 077−565-9052) at east exit street level.
- Minami-Kusatsu Station (南草津駅) -
JR Kusatsu Line (草津線)
- Kusatsu Station (草津駅) - Same station as on the Tokaido Line/Biwako Line.
Buses from Kusatsu Station also go toward Lake Biwa (Karasuma Peninsula) and neighboring city Ritto.
Rental bicycles are available at Kusatsu Station.
Click on upper right icon to enlarge.
|Kusatsu as seen from Mt. Hiei. Karasuma Peninsula (windmill) on the left.|
Click on the video image to start playing the video. More Shiga videos here.
- 1954 City founded upon the merging of Kusatsu-cho town and neighboring villages.
Huge lotus pond at Karasuma in Kusatsu decimated since summer 2016. Expert says, "Sandy soil is bad, very little chance of recovery." Sad! pic.twitter.com/HVEdRB1ohq— Shiga Headlines (@ShigaHeadlines) May 31, 2017
- Lastname firstname
- Shiga Prefecture
- Shiga Prefecture Sights
- History of Shiga Prefecture
- Shiga Prefecture Transportation
Other sights in neighboring cities/towns within easy reach from Kusatsu.
- Ritto - JRA Training Center for racehorses accessible by bus from Kusatsu Station, taking 30 min.
- Otsu - Capital of Shiga.
- Mizunomori water garden
- Kusatsu Interpeople Friendship Association In English, Spanish, and Portugese.
|Municipalities of Shiga Prefecture 滋賀県|
|Cities & Towns: Aisho-cho | Higashi-Omi | Hikone | Hino-cho | Koka | Konan | Kora-cho | Kusatsu | Maibara | Moriyama | Nagahama | Omi-Hachiman | Otsu | Ritto | Ryuo-cho | Taga-cho | Takashima | Toyosato-cho | Yasu|
|愛荘町 | 東近江市 | 彦根市 | 日野町 | 甲賀市 | 湖南市 | 甲良町 | 草津市 | 米原市 | 守山市 | 長浜市 | 近江八幡市 | 大津市 | 栗東市 | 竜王町 | 多賀町 | 高島市 | 豊郷町 | 野洲市|
|Prefectures of Japan|
|Aichi | Akita | Aomori | Chiba | Ehime | Fukui | Fukuoka | Fukushima | Gifu | Gunma | Hiroshima | Hokkaido | Hyogo | Ibaraki | Ishikawa | Iwate | Kagawa | Kagoshima | Kanagawa | Kochi | Kumamoto | Kyoto | Mie | Miyagi | Miyazaki | Nagano | Nagasaki | Nara | Niigata | Oita | Okayama | Okinawa | Osaka | Saga | Saitama | Shiga | Shimane | Shizuoka | Tochigi | Tokushima | Tokyo | Tottori | Toyama | Wakayama | Yamagata | Yamaguchi | Yamanashi|