ar100-20091009_4704.jpg
William Merrell Vories is one of the most famous historical figures in Shiga. His legacy remains in physical form in many places through former bank buildings, post office branches, schools, and Christian churches. MAP
ar101-20091009_4554.jpg
During Oct. 3 to Nov. 3, 2009 in Omi-Hachiman, they held an exhibition of Vories buildings. For 1,000 yen, we were able to enter a few of the buildings normally closed to the public. MAPThe starting point was this Hakuunkan Hall (not Vories-designed).
ar102-20091009_4555.jpg
Hakuunkan's 1st floor had a registration desk for exhibition visitors. Pay 1,000 yen and you receive tickets to enter a few Vories buildings and a map. The 2nd floor had a panel exhibition introducing Vories.
ar103-20091009_4557.jpg
Poster for the Exhibition of William Merrell Vories in Omi-Hachiman. The map showed a walking route to see all the Vories buildings.
ar104-20091009_4559.jpg
A short walk from Hakuunkan was the first Vories building on the map, the former Hachiman Post Office. 旧八幡郵便局舎
ar105-20091009_4573p.jpg
Former Hachiman Post Office in Omi-Hachiman, designed by William Merrell Vories. Built in 1921 and served as a post office until 1960. MAP
ar106-20091009_4567p.jpg
We could also see the 2nd floor which had a panel exhibition of Vories buildings.
ar107-20091009_4563.jpg
Unfortunately, photography was not allowed inside any of the buildings, which is puzzling since photography is allowed in other Vories buildings open to the public in Shiga.
ar108-20091009_4569.jpg
The former post office had a crystal glass doorknob on the postmaster office's door.
ar109-20091009_4570.jpg
An NPO called Hitotsubu no Kai (一粒の会) has an office inside and they work to renovate the building.
ar110-20091009_4575.jpg
Next was Shuyukan, a former sake warehouse (not Vories-designed) now serving as an exhibition space and restaurant. The exhibition featured photos of Vories buildings in the summer resort of Karuizawa, Nagano Pref. 酒游舘
ar111-20091009_4576.jpg
ar112-20091009_4580.jpg
The largest Vories building on this tour was the Hyde Memorial Building at this school called the Omi Kyodaisha Gakuen (Omi Brotherhood Schools). 近江兄弟社学園ハイド記念館(旧淸友園幼稚園).
ar113-20091009_4601.jpg
On the right is the Hyde Memorial Building designed by William Merrell Vories. 近江兄弟社学園ハイド記念館(旧淸友園幼稚園)
ar114-20091009_4583.jpg
The Hyde Memorial Building was built in 1931 to serve as Seiyuen Kindergarten run by Hitotsuyanagi Makiko, Vories' wife from 1919. MAP
ar115-20091009_4582.jpg
Statue of Vories.
ar116-20091009_4587.jpg
The construction of the kindergarten building was financed by the wife of Albert Alexander Hyde, the founder of The Mentholatum Company. This building was thus named after Hyde.
ar117-20091009_4617.jpg
Vories acquired the rights to sell Mentholatum products in 1920, and his Omi Sales Company sold the product in Japan as, "Menturm." It was a good source of income to finance his activities.
ar118-20091009_4589.jpg
Hyde Memorial Building.
ar119-20091009_4594.jpg
Other side and entrance to the Hyde Memorail Building. Inside were panel exhibitions related to Vories' medical and educational activities.
ar120-20091009_4590.jpg
ar121-20091009_4597.jpg
Entrance to Hyde Memorail Building.
ar122-20091009_4605.jpg
Education Building called Kyoiku Kaikan. 教育会館
ar123-20091009_4599.jpg
Kyoiku-kan is attached to the Hyde Building. 教育会館
ar124-20091009_4614.jpg
Omi Kyodaisha Gakuen is also one location where the film Idai Naru, Shurararabon (偉大なる、しゅららぼん The Great Shu Ra Ra Boom) was filmed.
ar125-20091009_4616.jpg
Display of posters of past Vories exhibitions.
ar126-20091009_4606.jpg
We were also allowed to see the chapel in the school's main building here. The chapel was on the 5th floor. This building was completed in March 2007. 学園本館
ar127-20091009_4609.jpg
Vories Memorial Chapel on the 5th floor of the Omi Brotherhood Schools main building. ヴォーリズ平和礼拝堂
ar128-20091009_4620.jpg
Near the school is this residence where Vories and his wife Makiko lived during the latter half of their lives. The house is normally not open to the public. Sometimes you can see inside the house if you make an appointment. ヴォーリズ記念館
ar129-20091009_4626p.jpg
Although this was Vories' residence, he did not own the house. He did not believe in having private assets. We could see the large living room full of pictures, books, etc., and the Japanese-style room for Makiko. ヴォーリズ記念館(旧ヴォ
ar130-20091009_4625.jpg
Name plate at the front gate of the Vories residence, called the Hitotsuyanagi Memorial House. It is designated as a Tangible Cultural Property of Shiga. MAP
ar131-20091009_4624.jpg
About the former Vories residence. It is owned by the Omi Brotherhood Co. The house was originally built in 1931 as a dormitory for teachers at the kindergarten, but it was turned into a residence instead. A Japanese-style room was also added.
ar132-20091009_4622.jpg
The Vories residence has three chimneys. Web site: http://vories.com/
ar133-20091009_4623.jpg
Map of the tour route.
ar134-20091009_4628.jpg
The Omi Brotherhood Corporate Group is involved in education, medicine and welfare, architectural design, and health-care products.
ar135-20091009_4633.jpg
ar136-20091009_4629.jpg
Matsuoka Residence. 村岡邸
ar137-20091009_4632.jpg
Built in 1933, the Matsuoka Residence was designed by William Merrell Vories. This house was not open to the public.
ar138-20091009_4637.jpg
Next was the Andrews Memorial Hall, the first building designed by William Merrell Vories. It was formerly the Hachiman YMCA. アンドリュース記念館(旧八幡YMCA会館)
ar139-20091009_4648.jpg
Back view of the former Hachiman YMCA, the first building designed by William Merrell Vories in 1907. Inside is quite modern, except for one room. MAP
ar140-20091009_4654.jpg
About the Andrews Memorial Hall. Web site: http://www.vories.or.jp/fukushi_no_sato/andrews.html
ar141-20091009_4638.jpg
The current Andrews Memorial Hall building was reconstructed and moved 12 meters from the original location in 1935. Thus it is not the original building, but very similar.
ar142-20091009_4639.jpg
Side view. This building served as the Hachiman YMCA until 1987. It was left unused and dilapidated for 20 years until Omi Brotherhood Co. renovated it in 2007 to mark the building's 100th anniversary.
ar143-20091009_4640.jpg
The building is now used to care for the elderly and handicapped and for missionary activities. There is also a meeting room for rent. It is next to a church.
ar144-20091009_4644.jpg
Next to the Andrews Memorial Hall is the Hachiman Church built in 1983. The original church, which was lost in a fire, was designed by William Merrell Vories in 1924. 八幡教会
ar145-20091009_4653.jpg
Hachiman Church Pastor House, designed by William Merrell Vories. It is right across the church. 八幡教会牧師館(旧地塩寮) MAP
ar146-20091009_4649.jpg
Hachiman Church Pastor House
ar147-20091009_4646.jpg
Hachiman Church Pastor House is not open to the public.
ar148-20091009_4659.jpg
Hachiman Commercial High School designed by William Merrell Vories in 1935. 八幡商業高等学校 MAP
ar149-20091009_4663.jpg
Hachiman Commercial High School was where Vories taught English when he arrived in 1905. However, he was dismissed after two years due to his Bible study group seen as a disturbance. By hiring Vories as the architect, the school made peace with Vories.
ar150-20091009_4660.jpg
ar151-20091009_4665.jpg
Vories still felt greatly indebted to the school, nicknamed "Hassho."
ar152-20091009_4667.jpg
Next was this neighborhood called Ikeda-cho with three Vories-designed homes along this street. MAP
ar153-20091009_4669.jpg
Built in 1913, this Yoshida Residence was designed by William Merrell Vories for Yoshida Etsuzo who was a former student and partner of Vories for the Omi Mission. This house is still occupied and not open to the public. 吉田邸
ar154-20091009_4672.jpg
The neighboring house, the Waterhouse Memorial House, was built in 1913 for Waterhouse, who was an instructor at Waseda University and joined the Omi Mission. Designed by William Merrell Vories. ウォーターハウス記念館(旧ウォーターハウ
ar155-20091009_4674.jpg
Owned by Omi Brotherhood Co., the Waterhouse house has been used as a girls' school and guest house. Currently not open to the public. But it looks like it has been recently renovated and ready to be used for something.
ar156-20091009_4675.jpg
About Ikeda-cho in English and Japanese.
ar157-20091009_4677.jpg
This third house in Ikeda-cho is the former Omi Mission Double House that was used to house the Omi Mission's American staff. 旧近江ミッション・ダブルハウス
ar158-20091009_4678.jpg
Former Omi Mission Double House was built in 1920 and large enough for two families. Vories' parents from the US and an American architect were the first occupants.
ar159-20091009_4680.jpg
Former Omi Mission Double House designed by William Merrell Vories. Today, two families still live in the house. Not open to the public. 旧近江ミッション・ダブルハウス
ar160-20091009_4683.jpg
The arrow points the way to the next Vories building in Omi-Hachiman.
ar161-20091009_4690.jpg
This local municipal museum was originally the Hachiman Police Department built in 1886. In 1953, it was renovated by Vories and continued to house the Omi-Hachiman Police Department. In 1974, it was converted to the museum it is today. 近江八幡市立
ar162-IMG_0063.jpg
Inside the municipal museum.
ar163-20091009_4706.jpg
My last stop was OMI Corp. which started out in 1920 as the Omi Sales Company.(株)近江兄弟社 MAP
ar164-20091009_4699.jpg
The lobby of the OMI Corp. displayed their early products and current products. Their main product was Menturm. I asked if they still had the original product that the company first made. They didn't.
ar165-20091009_4701.jpg
The company sells a large variety of skin-care products.
ar166-20091009_4700.jpg
Common chapstick.
ar167-IMG_2396.jpg
Monument commemorating the sister city relationship between Omi-Hachiman and Leavenworth, Kansas, birthplace of Vories. This is next to the statue of Vories and a student offering him flowers.
ar200-IMG_7200.jpg
Imazu Vories Museum in Imazu, Takashima, a former bank building designed by William Merrell Vories. Now a coffee shop and exhibition space. MAP
ar201-IMG_7204.jpg
Inside the former bank building in Imazu. A nice place to rest. Exhibition panels explain about Vories.
ar202-IMG_7203.jpg
One panel shows the location of buildings in Shiga designed by Vories. The blue dots indicate buildings which no longer exist, while the red dots indicate buildings which still exist.
ar203-IMG_7205.jpg
Imazu Church, designed by William Merrell Vories. This is next to the former bank building. MAP
ar204-20090501_5777p.jpg
Samegai Museum in a former post office designed by William Merrell Vories, in Samegai, Maibara, Shiga Pref. MAP
ar205-IMG_5990.jpg
Inside the former Samegai post office designed by William Merrell Vories.
ar206-20090419_3694.jpg
Minakuchi Christian Church designed by Vories and built in Nov. 1930. In Koka, Shiga. MAP
ar207-20090419_3696.jpg
Minakuchi Christian Church
ar208-20090419_3577.jpg
Former Minakuchi Public Library designed by William Vories and built in 1928. It is next to Minakuchi Elementary School in Koka. 旧水口図書館 MAP
ar209-20090419_3592.jpg
Entrance to the former Minakuchi Public Library has Romanesque columns.
ar210-20090419_3585.jpg
Staircase inside former Minakuchi Public Library.
ar211-20090419_3588.jpg
Inside former Minakuchi Public Library. Now it is sometimes used as an art gallery.
ar212-20091009_4732.jpg
Designed by William Merrell Vories, the old Toyosato Elementary School building was built in 1937. MAP
ar213-20091009_4742.jpg
Toyosato Elementary School was renovated and reopened in May 2009.
ar214-20091009_4751.jpg
This rabbit sculpture and turtle sculpture represents the famous Aesop's fable, the race between the turtle and hare.
ar215-20091009_4863.jpg
Inside Toyosato Elementary School auditorium. See more photos of the old Toyosato Elementary School here.
84 files on 1 page(s)