mj050-20090419_3542.jpg
Minakuchi-juku was the fiftieth of the fifty-three stations of the Tokaido Road. The most prominent remnant is Minakuchi Castle. Short walk from Minakuchi Jonan Station and Minakuchi Ishibashi Station on the Omi Railway Line.Omi Railway Line at Minakuchi Ishibashi Station platform, the closest station to Minakuchi-juku.
mj051-20090419_3543.jpg
Inside Minakuchi Ishibashi Station, somewhat rundown.
mj052-20090419_3545.jpg
Minakuchi Ishibashi Station. When you exit, go right until you see the train tracks on the right. Cross the tracks and you will be heading toward Minakuchi-juku.
mj053-20090419_3547.jpg
After crossing the train tracks, you see this forked intersection. The road forks into three roads. The one in the middle is the old Tokaido Road. There is also a monument.
mj054-IMG_5891.jpg
The monument takes the shape of a hikiyama float. It contains a clock inside. MAP
mj055-IMG_5892.jpg
mj056-20090419_3550.jpg
This plaque shows a woodblock print by Hiroshige depicting Minakuchi-juku. (A clearer image of this print is shown below.)
mj056a-51_Minakuchi.jpg
Hiroshige's woodblock print of Minakuchi (51st post town on the Tokaido) from his "Fifty-Three Stations of the Tokaido Road" series. A summer scene of a few women drying gourd shavings to make kanpyo.
mj057-20090419_3549.jpg
In 1601, Minakuchi-juku was designated as the 50th stage or post town on the Tokaido Road. It had 718 households. By the late Edo Period, Minakuchi had over 40 inns as well as a Honjin. Today, Minakuchi is one of the main populated areas of Koka.
mj058-20090419_3551.jpg
Old Tokaido Road.
mj059-20090419_3553.jpg
Near the forked intersection is Daitokuji Temple. Originally a Zen temple, it now belongs to the Jodo-shu sect. When Tokugawa Ieyasu passed through and visited the temple, he renamed it Daitokuji. 大徳寺
mj060-20090419_3554.jpg
Daitokuji Temple gate
mj061-20090419_3562.jpg
Daitokuji Temple's founding priest was an uncle of Honda Tadakatsu (Heihachiro), one of Tokugawa Ieyasu's important generals. Due to this connection, lodged in Minakuchi on his way to Kyoto and visited Daitokuji.
mj062-20090419_3555.jpg
Daitokuji Temple Hondo Hall. Ieyasu donated land to the temple as well as a tree. He even created the temple's crest and renamed the temple to Daitokuji.
mj063-IMG_5907.jpg
Daitokuji Temple Hondo Hall.
mj064-20090419_3560.jpg
Jizo statues next to the Daitokuji Temple Hondo Hall.
mj065-20090419_3561.jpg
Rock with Buddha's footprints.
mj066-20090419_3563.jpg
Monument for the rock which Ieyasu sat on.
mj067-20090419_3567.jpg
This is the rock which Tokugawa Ieyasu sat on when he visited the temple in May 1600. He sat on it while talking to the temple priest. Anyone can now sit on it. Called Tokugawa Ieyasu koshi-kake ishi. It was moved here in 1900. 腰掛石
mj068-20090419_3571.jpg
A famous tree at Daitokuji.
mj069-20090419_3573.jpg
mj070-20090419_3584.jpg
Walk a little further east and north to visit the former Minakuchi Public Library designed by William Vories and built in 1928.
mj071-20090419_3577.jpg
Former Minakuchi Public Library is next to Minakuchi Elementary School. 旧水口図書館
mj072-20090419_3581.jpg
mj073-20090419_3592.jpg
Entrance to the former Minakuchi Public Library has Romanesque columns.
mj074-20090419_3585.jpg
Staircase inside former Minakuchi Public Library.
mj075-20090419_3586.jpg
mj076-20090419_3588.jpg
Inside former Minakuchi Public Library. Now it is sometimes used as an art gallery.
mj077-20090419_3589.jpg
About Vories.
mj078-20090419_3609.jpg
Walk further along and there is this path to Daikoji temple.
mj079-20090419_3614.jpg
Daikoji temple was founded in 684 by priest Gyoki (行基) who installed a wooden Thousand-Arm Kannon statue (now missing). 大岡寺
mj080-20090419_3613.jpg
Daikoji temple. The current building was reconstructed in 1715. It is one of the 33 temples on the Saigoku Pilgrimage in western Japan. 大岡寺
mj081-20090419_3625.jpg
According to NHK in Oct. 2013, the whereabouts of two Important Cultural Property Buddhist statues from Daikoji temple in Koka are unknown. Reported to be have been stolen & sold.
mj082-20090419_3616.jpg
Daikoji temple's bell tower. 「木造千手観音立像」と「木造阿弥陀如来立像」は寺の関係者が勝手に持ち出したあと第三者に売り渡された。
mj083-20090419_3617.jpg
Basho Matsuo Haiku monument at Daikoji temple.
mj084-20090419_3622.jpg
Monument for Iwaya Ichiroku, a noted calligrapher hailing from Minakuchi.
mj085-20090419_3618.jpg
Pond for the souls of fish offered to the temple.
mj086-20090419_3628.jpg
Old Tokaido Road
mj087-20090419_3632.jpg
Another intersection.
mj088-20090419_3629.jpg
mj089-20090419_3630.jpg
Another clock monument
mj090-20090419_3636.jpg
This is the site of Minakuchi-juku's Toiyaba which was like a travel logistics office and lodging reservations agency. Staffed by one or more people, it handled horses, messengers, luggage, helpers, etc. 問屋場
mj091-20090419_3637.jpg
About Minakuchi-juku's Toiyaba.
mj092-20090419_3638.jpg
A more traditional-looking part of the former Tokaido Road.
mj093-20090419_3643.jpg
Here and there along the way, you'll see storehouses for the hikiyama floats. During the Minakuchi Hikiyama Matsuri festival on April 19-20, they are taken out to be decorated before being paraded to Minakuchi Shrine.
mj094-20090419_3644.jpg
Nearing the end of Minakuchi-juku.
mj095-20090419_3646.jpg
At the east end of Minakuchi-juku is the spot where the Kosatsu bulletin board stood.
mj096-20090419_3648.jpg
This is a reconstruction of the Kosatsu bulletin board which displayed official notices from the shogunate. These bulletin boards were placed where many people passed by so they can stop and read the bulletins. 高札場
mj097-20090419_3649.jpg
Sample bulletins on the Kosatsu bulletin board. That's a lotta fine print...
mj098-20090419_3654.jpg
Not far from the Kosatsu bulletin board was Minakuchi-juku's Honjin. Nothing remains of the Honjin. This is the entrance to where it was located. 本陣跡
mj099-20090419_3657.jpg
The Honjin was the town's most exclusive lodge reserved for daimyo lords, government officials, and even Emperor Meiji who once stayed here as this monument indicates.
mj100-20090419_3661.jpg
Monument indicating that Emperor Meiji who stayed here in 1869. He was the last guest since the Honjin was then closed and dismantled. The Waki-Honjin was also nearby, but no signs.
mj101-20090419_3659.jpg
About Minakuchi's Honjin.
mj102-20090419_3673.jpg
Further east is the Higashi-Mitsuke Gate.
mj103-20090419_3679.jpg
Reconstructed Higashi-Mitsuke Gate. 東見附跡
mj104-20090419_3674.jpg
The Higashi-Mitsuke Gate was like the town's checkpoint with security guards posted watching people entering the town. There was another checkpoint on the west end of the town.
mj105-20090419_3677.jpg
About Higashi-Mitsuke Gate. After reaching this gate, you might as well backtrack back to the train station.
mj106-20090419_3672.jpg
This is the hill where the Minakuchi-Okayama Castle was originally built in 1585 by Nakamura Kazuuji 中村一氏, a vassal of Toyotomi Hideyoshi. It fell into ruin after the Battle of Sekigahara where the castle lord lost.
mj107-IMG_5910.jpg
Old Tokaido Road in Minakuchi
mj108-IMG_5883.jpg
Minakuchi Hikiyama float storehouse
mj109-20090419_3684.jpg
After reaching Higashi-Mitsuke Gate, backtrack back to the train station and cross the train tracks to the other side of the Tokaido Road. You will be heading toward Minakuchi Castle. Minakuchi manhole. Shiga Pref.
mj150-20090419_3685.jpg
A short walk from Minakuchi Ishibashi Station is Minakuchi Chubu Community Center.
mj151-20090419_3686.jpg
This Community Center also houses a hikiyama float.
mj152-IMG_5878.jpg
mj154-20090419_3690.jpg
A detour on the old Tokaido road.
mj155-20090419_3691.jpg
A detour on the old Tokaido road, created due to the castle grounds.
mj156-20090419_3694.jpg
Minakuchi Christian Church designed by Vories. 水口教会会堂
mj157-20090419_3696.jpg
Minakuchi Christian Church designed by Vories and built in Nov. 1930.
mj158-20090419_3705.jpg
mj159-20090419_3706.jpg
Way to Shintokuji temple. 真徳寺
mj160-20090419_3707.jpg
This front gate at Shintokuji temple was moved from a lord's residence within Minakuchi Castle. 真徳寺
mj161-20090419_3709.jpg
Shintokuji temple. 真徳寺
mj162-20090419_3715.jpg
Minakuchi Stone at this corner is nicknamed Chikara Ishi (Stone of Strength) and was made famous by a woodblock print during the Edo Period. 力石
mj163-20090419_3714.jpg
About Minakuchi Stone
mj164-20090419_3700.jpg
Local shrine 五十鈴神社
mj165-20090419_3704.jpg
mj166-20090419_3697.jpg
A tree shows where the Ichirizuka marker was. It served as a milestone and distance marker for travelers.
mj167-20090419_3699.jpg
mj168-20090419_3718.jpg
Saw this along the way to Minakuchi Castle.
mj169-20090419_3717.jpg
Stone monument commemorating the formation of Koka upon the merger of neighboring towns. (Minakuchi, Koka, Shigaraki, Konan, Tsuchiyama)
mj200-20090419_3736.jpg
Minakuchi Castle was originally built in 1634 as a rest place for shogun Tokugawa Iemitsu during his travels to and from Kyoto. But the shogun stayed at the castle only once.
mj201-IMG_5833.jpg
The castle later became the residence of the Minakuchi clan in 1682 headed by Lord Kato Akitomo. MAP
mj202-20090419_3733.jpg
mj203-IMG_5836.jpg
mj204-20090419_3745.jpg
mj205-20090419_3749.jpg
mj206-IMG_5873.jpg
Bridge to Minakuchi Castle.
mj207-20090419_3723.jpg
Minakuchi Castle Museum is open 10 am to 4 pm, closed on Thursday and Fri. 水口城資料館
mj208-IMG_5843.jpg
mj209-IMG_5868.jpg
mj210-IMG_5859.jpg
Inside Minakuchi Castle Museum 水口城資料館
mj211-IMG_5872.jpg
mj212-IMG_5871.jpg
mj213-IMG_5861.jpg
mj214-20090419_3730.jpg
The only part of the castle that looks like a castle is the small, rectangular area (connected by a short bridge) seen on the left side of the map. The large square area on the right is now an athletic/sports ground as you can see in the next picture.
mj215-IMG_5874.jpg
The Honmaru (main keep) is now the sports ground for Minakuchi High School.
mj250-20090419_3809.jpg
Now we are approaching Minakuchi Shrine.
mj251-20090419_3810.jpg
Minakuchi Shrine torii
mj252-20090419_3764.jpg
Minakuchi Shrine torii 水口神社
mj253-20090419_3769.jpg
Minakuchi Shrine decorated for the Minakuchi Hikiyama Matsuri festival on April 19.
mj254-20090419_3780.jpg
Minakuchi Shrine
mj255-20090419_3785.jpg
Minakuchi Shrine
mj256-20090419_3782.jpg
Minakuchi Shrine
mj257-20090419_3806.jpg
Near Minakuchi Shrine are these storehouses for hikiyama floats.
mj258-20090419_3761.jpg
Minakuchi Public Library and folk history museum. 水口歴史民俗資料館
mj259-20090419_3816.jpg
An early map of Minakuchi-juku.
mj260-20090419_3817.jpg
1: Honjin, 2: Waki-Honjin, 3: Kosatsu bulletib board. Daikoji temple can also be seen on the upper left.
mj261-20090419_3820.jpg
The museum also exhibits an actual Minakuchi Hikiyama float used in the annual Minakuchi Hikiyama Matsuri festival during April 19-20. One of the 16 floats is displayed here every year.
mj262-20090419_3832.jpg
Inside Minakuchi Folk History Museum
mj263-20090419_3828.jpg
mj264-20090419_3829.jpg
mj265-20090419_3826.jpg
Pilgrimage clothing
mj266-20090419_3834.jpg
Pieces from Minakuchi Okayama Castle ruins.
mj267-20090419_3835.jpg
Old map of Minakuchi Castle
mj268-20090419_3836.jpg
Roof tile from Minakuchi Castle
mj269-20090419_3838.jpg
Minakuchi-juku documents
mj270-20090419_3841.jpg
Woodblock prints which depict Minakuchi.
mj271-20090419_3830.jpg
mj272-20090419_3847.jpg
Pipes
mj273-20090419_3848.jpg
Pipe engraved with "Minakuchi."
mj274-20090419_3758.jpg
Minakuchi Jonan Station on the Omi Railway Line. The library, museum, Minakuchi Castle, and Minakuchi Shrine are near this station.
mj275-20090419_3759.jpg
Hikiyama Festival Plaza in front of Minakuchi Jonan Station.
mj276-IMG_5829.jpg
Kibukawa Station, terminus of the Omi Railway Line and connection to the JR Kusatsu Line.
 
123 files on 1 page(s)