Wakayama Castle 和歌山城


wk049-20090407_6934.jpg

Wakayama Castle was originally built in 1585 by Toyotomi Hidenaga upon the order of elder brother Hideyoshi. The construction was directed by renown castle architect Lord Todo Takatora, native of Omi (Shiga Prefecture). In 1600, Lord Asano Yoshinaga was awarded the castle for his service during the Battle of Sekigahara. In 1619, Tokugawa Yorinobu, Ieyasu's 10th son, became the castle lord establishing the Kii clan, one of three key Tokugawa Gosanke clans (along with Owari and Mito). The castle tower and turrets were reconstructed in 1958. The surrounding area is noted for cherry blossoms in April.

113 files, last one added on Apr 23, 2009
Album viewed 337 times

 

1 albums on 1 page(s)